Pregnant or just fat

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Considering it’s gradually gotten fatter over the past few weeks, I think I have the answer but I figured I’d ask to confirm.
Does this endler look pregnant to you:
image.jpg
They don’t do a good job of staying still, but it’s the center one just below the male. Almost all have been getting fatter, but she’s the biggest.
To my knowledge the black spot by the anal fin is an indicator the fish are pregnant, yes?
Thanks!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Don’t take the black spot to automatically mean a guppy is pregnant.
The Gravid spot is visible whether a guppy is pregnant or not as it’s the fishes womb but will change as pregnancy progresses and the black could disappear altogether as live young become visible in some colour guppies.
Keep an eye out and you should see a difference in the area if the fish is pregnant. If it’s like that for more than thirty days then there may be something else going on.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
If we define "pregnant" to indicate that a fish is carrying developing embryos...then I suspect that there is no such thing as a "non-pregnant" adult female guppy in a mixed male-female tank. :)

As Fishman Dave Fishman Dave said, watch it for awhile. If it continues for much more than a month, then it could be something else (although she's probably also pregnant!).

Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it almost seems to me as though she is very round, rather than displaying the slightly angular belly shape of a heavily-pregnant guppy?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, that's a better pic. That fish is nowhere near ready to pop.

Of course, when the entire pregnancy is only 4 or 5 weeks...everything's relative...:)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
77DD115C-D7E8-434A-A87F-1343D502601C.jpeg
Found this little guy roaming the tank - no idea how many there are (I’m sure the frogs and endlers are doing their part).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store