Puffer advice for 125g

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I am quite inexperienced when it comes to puffers--actually, ive never kept one so completely inexperienced.

Im fixing up one of my tanks with the goal of a low power/low maintenance setup that i can keep somewhat lightly stocked. The tank itself is 63"Lx26"Wx21"H and I'll run two large sponge filters with an air pump, so fairly slow current. Tank will stay between 70-80F. I also want a fish that i can keep on a pellet only diet for simplicity's sake. I will scape sparingly with some floating driftwood, sunken bogwood, and river rocks and the tank has an epoxy bottom.

My favorite idea is a small group of schoutedeni. Ive heard that they are one of the only puffers that its possible to keep in groups, but dont know if my tank is right. Alternatively, i would consider a lone schoutedeni with a few dithers if a group is inadvisable.

Besides that i would consider a single specimen of one of the more aggressive puffers, just undecided on which would be best. Obviously fahaka is on the large side but id definitely be interested if its possible.

Im also aware that certain puffers have dietary needs in regards to their beak like teeth. Id like some guidance and opinions on how to do this and even if possible on a pellet only diet. Im also aware that some puffers require brackish setups and could definitely comply with this.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
No puffer can live long term on pellets only (it would be quite difficult to even get them eating pellets). Live and frozen foods will be a must. Shrimp, snails, mussels, and crayfish all work for this purpose, depending on the size of the puffer. Various worms also make good treats even if they don’t do much for the beak.
Both schoutodini and Amazon puffers will do well in a group and with other fish. A schoutodini can be kept alone, but amazons definitely need the group.
A fahaka would probably work out for that size tank, but I haven’t kept one so take that with a grain of salt.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
No puffer can live long term on pellets only (it would be quite difficult to even get them eating pellets). Live and frozen foods will be a must. Shrimp, snails, mussels, and crayfish all work for this purpose, depending on the size of the puffer. Various worms also make good treats even if they don’t do much for the beak.
Both schoutodini and Amazon puffers will do well in a group and with other fish. A schoutodini can be kept alone, but amazons definitely need the group.
A fahaka would probably work out for that size tank, but I haven’t kept one so take that with a grain of salt.
Gah. I knew there was some obvious reason ive never kept puffers before.

I really like the idea of a single schoutedeni (im finding they are not cheap) with a group of small geographically appropo dithers. Would like to stay very lightly stocked. Can you give me a list of typical food items id be shopping for on a regular basis if i went this route?

Im guessing snails are on the menu...ive considered setting up a small snail breeding setup to augment my loaches diet as well. Any guidance there?

Reactions: Deadeye

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
You could do a single cross river in that tank. It's) gallon wise smaller than most would recommend but it's got the right footprint. Why nit make your first puffer the holy grail. ;)
Holy grail indeed. Id be too nervous making that kind of investment on an animal which apparently i didnt even know how to feed until a few minutes ago lol. Id also be nervous of the domestic ****storm that could transpire when i spend over $1k on a fish.

Disturbed.)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Hahahaha. You and me both. My girlfriend would incourage it. The wife on the other hand... seriously though. It would be easier to keep than a group of schoutedeni. Even puffers that prefer to be in groups do better in large groups 12 or more. They can come unhinged when in smaller groups of say 6 and when a puffer goes ballistic it's devastating

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Gah. I knew there was some obvious reason ive never kept puffers before.

I really like the idea of a single schoutedeni (im finding they are not cheap) with a group of small geographically appropo dithers. Would like to stay very lightly stocked. Can you give me a list of typical food items id be shopping for on a regular basis if i went this route?

Im guessing snails are on the menu...ive considered setting up a small snail breeding setup to augment my loaches diet as well. Any guidance there?
Group of amazons is definitely cheaper (a school is the price of a single schoutodini).
With a schoutodini, any peaceful African riverine fish would work (though I’m blanking on most right now lol). Kribs, congo tetras, peaceful barbs, killifish, African spiny eels, etc. can all work.
Amazon puffers would work with most peaceful Amazon fish - tetras, otos, cories, even dwarf cichlids like apisto or ram.
As long as the puffer is the meanest fish in the tank I wouldn’t worry about aggression towards them.
It would be good to have a steady supply of snails (ramshorn and pond snails) as well as neocardina shrimp. Bloodworms, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, tubifex worms, earthworms, and small crickets can also make good snacks. Variety is best.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Disturbed.)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Now I want puffers again. If you go with Amazon's you can get them to eat pellets. Mine did. They loved frozen crayfish and tilapia. Everyone told me they'd be community safe if I kept at least 6. My limited experience is that "community" puffers are fine with other fish until they decide they are not.
As far as teeth maintenance it's best to feed crunchy things like frozen fish and snails. Should you need to clip them you'll need medical grade clove oil "Eugenol" to put them in sleepy land, a good set of dykes and a few containers. One container at full strength to knock them loopy. One at half strength to keep them submerged and out cold while you work so they don't wake up out of water and puff. The last container with tank water to wake them up. Not a fun thing to do.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Hmmm lots to get into. Getting more complicated by the minute. Good thing i asked i suppose.

The only tankmates it would have would be disposable small dithers much like the lampeyes i keep in my other communities. kribs are tempting but i need no cichlid antics in this tank.

It occurs to me that discussing a single specimen schoutedeni setup is hardly monsterfishkeeping. Mini-monsterfishkeeping perhaps. Thanks for all the info though. This may be something i try as a temporary setup.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store