Red Zebra With Rams?

Springtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Bethlehem & Philadelphia, PA
A friend of mine has a Red Zebra that terrorizes everything else in his tank and is affecting his other fish. He wants to get rid of it, so I said I'd take it. He feeds his other fish live food and I've never seen the Red Zebra eat the live food so i'm not real worried about him eating my other fish.... I have 6 Rams and 2 Demasoni's...

You guys see any problem with this? :feedback:

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
This is a test, isn't it? You're just trying to have a little fun with us, right? Asking if a medium-size Pseudo, that terrozes another tank with predators, will not terrorize your dwarf cichlid tank can't be for real. Just what answer are you expecting, or rather, hoping for?

Springtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Well we're thinking the only reason he terrorizes the other tank is cause he was in there first and he feels as if it's HIS tank. I'm *HOPING* by taking him out of "his" territory and into uncharted territory he'll lose some of his "stubborness" if that makes any sense. I dont know much about the zebra's, but I do know that my demasoni's and Ram's don't take ***** from anyone...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I just don't see anything good coming from this mix. As soon as the red zebra has settled in he can claim any space already taken by the others. If it comes down to a fight, the rams will be the sure loser simply by the laws of tonnage. Trucks aren't afraid of bikes and zebras aren't afraid of rams.
The only chance I see is if the zebra was a bully in say a 55 and you're planning on putting it in an established 150. If the zebra established his "space" in a smaller tank, he may do the same in a larger tank leaving some territory for the others.

Springtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Thanks Oddball :)

Even though I feel it's probably a VERY bad idea, I'm going to give the poor little guy a home anyway. If it doesn't work out, I have a friend with a 55gal that has virtually nothing in it and I'll make him take it :D

SinisterKisses

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2005
No way is that going to work out. Red zebras have a very well earned reputation for being nasty and relentless...as showed in his previous home. If you like your rams, and want them to be happy, healthy, and ALIVE, do NOT put that red zebra in there. Not to mention, its a male, which makes him even more aggressive. Also, I'm very concerned about the two demasoni in there. They're small, sure, but demasoni are just about the meanest mbuna out there - and even more so towards each other. The rule of thumb with demasoni, are to keep a single fish with other species, or keep a species tank with a colony of 15-20 demasoni. Two simply won't work for long...one will kill the other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store