senegal just ate gravel...

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
i just saw my senegal eat a piece of gravel. i doubt there like chickens and it helps with there digestion. should i be worried about him eating the gravel? do i need a special type of substrate for him?

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
ughhhhh like a normal size piece of gravel? but i had moved to get a better look and he bolted behind some decorations. and when i looked he had a mealworm in his mouth. also could i possibly put sand and some regular gravel in the tank or should it be sand only?

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
gravel is not save, sand would be the better option, I wouldnt risk using gravel for my bichirs, they could swallowed anything which fits into their mouth.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
how do you know he actually swallowed it? i saw mine attempt to eat a piece. he chomped down on it a couple of times and spat it out, after realizing that it was not food. maybe your's did the same and you just did not see him release it.

Cholly

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Metro Atlanta
phillydog1958;3622998; said:
how do you know he actually swallowed it? i saw mine attempt to eat a piece. he chomped down on it a couple of times and spat it out, after realizing that it was not food. maybe your's did the same and you just did not see him release it.
I hope this is what happened, 'cuz otherwise he's most likely a goner as he probably won't be able to pass it. Which is why sand or bare bottoms are recommended for polypterus of any type. Some will swallow a piece of gravel and be unable to pass it, and literally die from constipation. It would most likely be an incredibly painful death, too.

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
he had it in his mouth, and when i made a move to see what he was doing he bolted behind some decorations and when i saw him he did not have the gravel in his mouth.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
If you are planning to sue gravel I suggest the smallest possible. Otherwise go with sand or bare bottom. Bichirs are known to eat gravels by mistake and it's not a problem as long as the gravels are small.

sti888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
RI
1: he could spit it up
2: He could pass it
3: He could live with it inside for life
4: He may die

I say the best is bare bottom..I have Pool filter sand and see it get swallowed sometimes...Currently taking the cancer causing silica out.

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
alrighty. i think i'm gonna move him to a 55 i just got. i have a 10 gallon with sand, i think i can handle a 55 with sand. cleaning its just a little tricky sometimes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store