Sick Discus

JeffL88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
chicago
Just picked up a few discus at a lfs, worst idea ever. Already have one casualtie, not sure whats wrong but here is a pic its not too good

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Looks like fin rot, and stunting. The head also looks very thin. Fatten him up with some live blackworms.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
And do plenty of water changes in the meantime and treat for finrot.

gseith

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Ohio
Treat with a pimafix and melafix combination with those daily water changes. That will help reduce some of the stress and of course speed up the healing process.

-greg

fISHyPriorities

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Los Angeles CA
i would say keep water very warm add salt

andsco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Shoreline, WA
small fish with large eye.
it will never grow big, but you can cure the fin rot.
feed alot and keep your water quality GOOD.

marcello

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
italy
what a shame they sold you so sick discus fishes argh i would go there and protest and by the way do what you can for save that poor guy he deserves it

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
A big eye does not mean he is stunted. I regulary use the size of an eye in comparison to the rough size of the discus, and by looking at the eye, it appears the discus is around 2-3".

At first when I saw it, I figured you would have to euthanise it, but upon closer inspection, it just has mild finrot, a probable case of Hexamita and some sort of wound/oulser/fungus on his side.
You can save him, but be ruthless with your water changes and add pimafix, mela fix daily, because water changes will remove most of the meds. Remove carbon and raise temp to 86F. 88 MAYBE.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store