Species of Corys

Teeth&Fins

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2004
New York
Tomorrow I’m buying a few corys, 4 to be exact. Can I mix different species of them or they should all be the same. Lets say I buy 2 albino 1 panda and 1 spotted will that work? I want them to school and interact with each other, I also don’t want any territorial issues (don’t know about this one, after all, they are community fish).

benny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2004
Singapore
Teeth&Fins said:
Tomorrow I’m buying a few corys, 4 to be exact. Can I mix different species of them or they should all be the same. Lets say I buy 2 albino 1 panda and 1 spotted will that work? I want them to school and interact with each other, I also don’t want any territorial issues (don’t know about this one, after all, they are community fish).
Congrats!! It's a decision you won't regret. What Cories lack in looks, they make up for it in character.

The top 5 popular (and common) cories are:

Corydoras panda
Corydoras Sterbai (and albino variant)
Corydoras Trilineatus
Corydoras Aeneus (and albino variant)
Corydoras paleatus (and albino variant)

Most corydoras are perfect community citizens and will shoal with each other (there are exceptions of course). Those that you've picked out will be fine with each other. There will be no territorial issues amongst themselves. However, most literature recommend a small group of 6 if you can affort the space.

As far as stocking density is concerned, a standard 57 Litres tank (sorry, I always get confused with US Gal and Imp Gal) can hold 8 corydoras (depending of species) comfortably and they will grow to their full size. However, a lot of aquarist (myself included) have a tendency to overstock. As they are community fishes and extremely socialable, a slightly higher density is usually not a problem, provided the water is clean and free of Nitrite and Ammonia.

This will be severely overstocking, but you can clearly see that cories do get along fine even if they are of different species.

Though you didn't mention the other occupants of the tank, I assume that you are not keeping any fishes that will grow too big to harass them. As a standard rule, other fishes in the tank must not have mouth large enough to swallow the cories. Also certain aggressive species (e.g. Anostomus anostomus) are best avoided as tankmates for corydoras.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Teeth&Fins

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2004
New York
The reason I mentioned those is because they are the only ones I knew about. 10 gl is about 38 liters. I also want to get this small(2-2.5 in) shrimp for the tank floor. I forgot the name, but it has 4 antennas on it’s front legs for filtering food. As for the rest of the fish, they all be tropical and small, nothing for corys to be afraid of.. Any suggestion on other fish?

PS. Benny, I send you private massage, and just wondering if you got it.

Thanks everyone!

Teeth&Fins

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2004
New York
OK. I got 3 corys, Corydoras Trilineatus to be exact. I had a discussion with the guy in the store and he suggested on 3 since they still have to grow and I also will add other fish. I have only 10gl. tank. Here is the pic I found on the site
, will post pics of my fish tomorrow or maybe on Wednesday.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store