Spreading the aggression of CA/SA cichlids...

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Hello everyone, I've been wondering why is it good practice to spread the aggression when it comes to African cichlids. Why isn't this practiced with CA/SA cichlids? My research has led me to believe is that the size difference of the fish are generally much larger than Africans. Also, I'm guessing that Africans aren't as messy as CA/SA. Is this correct? Any and all info/suggestions are appreciated.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
There's a few reasons. I believe to an extent it does work, however, new worlds being much bigger, the appropriate tank size to do this like you would with africans would be massive. The other reason is breeding habits. Most new worlds are substrate spawners, which require them to hold a territory. Rift lakes are mostly mouth brooding, which means even in the wild, their territory is constantly changing as they don't have the same need to defend it.

Reactions: Vukmir13

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Excellent, I'm currently in the process of experimenting with this, however I have no pairs, all individual fish. I'm hoping it goes well, but if it doesn't work as planned, I do have other channels of caring for the fish. I'm just hoping to get sort of a small community of fairly large fish. I will record my finding on the forum in case I observe some interesting behaviors. Thanks again

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
It is practiced with CA/SA cichlids. And it's a hot topic of debate around here, too. Some swear by it. Some say it's asking for trouble--with water parameters and bio-filtration.

Mainly for the reasons you put forward. CA cichlids are bigger, and messier, and they don't have the same behavior as African's.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Seen alot of all male amphilophus tanks stocked really heavy, rusty wessel tanks are all heavily stocked, I think it takes alot more planning then just dropping random fish in the tank, I personally wouldn't do it I think you lose some of the personality of the fish but that's just me.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Ive seen a heavily stocked 500 gallon sa/ca mixed tank. Even had a breeding pair of midevils. Along with various other fish including a huge red tail cat and giant gourami. So it CAN work. But the if it can and if it's best for the fish are two different things. I think that's the biggest debate. At least to me.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
It can work, you need to have a large amount of filtration, and tend to need to do a lot of water changes to keep he water clean but it can work.

The hardest part in setting one up is planning it, as you need to make sure all of the fish are of a similar toughness and aggression level so that none get beaten up and killed. Also you should start with more fish then you plan on ending up with so that you can remove fish to break up any pairs that might form

The behaviour when they are in a com is different to when you keep then individually, with is somethign you need to think about if you want.

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Makes total sense, I definitely have the filtration set up superbly and I also do not mind doing water changes every other day if necessary. My newest issue with this is the "lose" of personality. How would their personality/behavior be altered by being in a community style setup? Thanks again guys, you guys are highly appreciated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store