Stocking 75gal

FishkeepingFisherman

Feeder Fish
Aug 16, 2022
Good afternoon MFK,

I have 75 gal with one RBP, tank has been running for 5 years now. I know they’re shoaling fish but I got him 5 years ago and was told they’re fine alone so he has been all by his lonesome since.

After learning this I could never find more RBPs his size to put with him and now I’m moving and he’s coming with me so I have two questions.

If I can’t find anyone with a few RBPs to get rid of that I can put with him, is it really a viable idea to get other large fish his size? If so what do you recommend that would be comfortable in a 75gal? I don’t have the space in my new house to get anything much larger.

Second, what’s the best way to transport him on an 8hr road trip? I have plenty of room in my truck for whatever but I was thinking something like a big plastic bag from my LFS so he’s not running himself into glass for 8hrs.

Thanks for any help

Dawgz

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2006
NJ
Good afternoon MFK,

I have 75 gal with one RBP, tank has been running for 5 years now. I know they’re shoaling fish but I got him 5 years ago and was told they’re fine alone so he has been all by his lonesome since.

After learning this I could never find more RBPs his size to put with him and now I’m moving and he’s coming with me so I have two questions.

If I can’t find anyone with a few RBPs to get rid of that I can put with him, is it really a viable idea to get other large fish his size? If so what do you recommend that would be comfortable in a 75gal? I don’t have the space in my new house to get anything much larger.

Second, what’s the best way to transport him on an 8hr road trip? I have plenty of room in my truck for whatever but I was thinking something like a big plastic bag from my LFS so he’s not running himself into glass for 8hrs.

Thanks for any help

In a 75 you're pretty much maxed out with one. Some try 3-4 in a 75 but it's hit or miss. I would keep him solo. I have a solo cariba for 17 years and going in a 60.

For your move, put him in a 5gal bucket, get a battery powered pump and air stone to keep the water moving and for gas exchange. Buy extra batteries.

Add 1ml of seachem prime so that it keeps ammonia toxicity away for the duration of your trip (1ml in the 5gal will actually cover 24hours). (Also, don't feed him for a week before the move so that you have him purged and it will excrete less waste while moving).

Try not to run the AC as it'll drop water temps. It should be good up to 67degrees doe the move

FishkeepingFisherman

Feeder Fish
Aug 16, 2022
In a 75 you're pretty much maxed out with one. Some try 3-4 in a 75 but it's hit or miss. I would keep him solo. I have a solo cariba for 17 years and going in a 60.

For your move, put him in a 5gal bucket, get a battery powered pump and air stone to keep the water moving and for gas exchange. Buy extra batteries.

Add 1ml of seachem prime so that it keeps ammonia toxicity away for the duration of your trip (1ml in the 5gal will actually cover 24hours). (Also, don't feed him for a week before the move so that you have him purged and it will excrete less waste while moving).

Try not to run the AC as it'll drop water temps. It should be good up to 67degrees doe the move
Meant to respond sooner but thanks for the help! It went really well. I ended up getting a power inverter that let me plug in one of my air pumps in the truck and had a battery one for when I stopped for gas or turned my truck off for any other reason. I will also continue to keep him by himself per your advice.

Reactions: Dawgz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store