Tear Drop Pike Cichlid,

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
My local fish store brought in some pikes and are calling them tear drop. He says they are kind of rare. I am actually only looking for Orange Xingu but he claims these color up nicely. I can't find a scientific name or any images of what they look like. Does anyone have any ideas of what species this can be and what they can look like?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Unfortunately, the tear drop pike common name has also been used for other pikes like those from the Inirida catch locations.

I have resorted to calling Atabapo 2 as Atabapo ladder since there is a dispute on which were the first Atabapo discovered (red vs ladder). I was told by a reputable importer who put these on market in the beginning that the internet pictures were mistaken with regards to Atabapo 1 and Atabapo 2.

Those pike will retain the ladder pattern for quite a bit. They are also way more sensitive to hard water conditions (GH) and high PH than their Atabapo Red counterpart. HITH sets in rather quickly in comparison.

Reactions: mrrobxc and Milingu

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
Unfortunately, the tear drop pike common name has also been used for other pikes like those from the Inirida catch locations.

I have resorted to calling Atabapo 2 as Atabapo ladder since there is a dispute on which were the first Atabapo discovered (red vs ladder). I was told by a reputable importer who put these on market in the beginning that the internet pictures were mistaken with regards to Atabapo 1 and Atabapo 2.
We're probably thinking of the same importer but yes, the Atabapo "Ladder Pike" is indeed Atabapo I as it was discovered first. the Atabapo "Red Pike" is Atabapo II.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

Those pike will retain the ladder pattern for quite a bit. They are also way more sensitive to hard water conditions (GH) and high PH than their Atabapo Red counterpart. HITH sets in rather quickly in comparison.
Agree ?. Want to underscore how prone they are to HITH. Better holding off Alex since you have liquid rock as water unless you want to run RO.

Reactions: WOLF2013

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
Agree ?. Want to underscore how prone they are to HITH. Better holding off Alex since you have liquid rock as water unless you want to run RO.
Yea I am probably going to pass.
I just lost my 2 beloved chocolate cichlids to hith. they got it I treated with melafix but it got worse and worse and then they passed.
I never had chocolates get hith until I moved here to South Florida. I miss my chocolates.

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store