Tempted by this piraiba for sale..

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I have a friend who can no longer house his piraiba that's around a foot long. I don't really have the space either.. Unless I put him with my Mala and dorado for the next few months until I build a 1000+ monster setup. Really torn, don't want my bioload going over and this guy is about 300 usd.. Which is a steal....

image.jpg

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Yeah I want to put with my stingrays and ATF but I'm afraid that will screw up the current bioload which is already pretty heavy.. Ahh decisions decisions..

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Looks real to me, I mean true filamentosum. The one Wes sent me is from Suriname and is 1.5' and looks quite similar.

As for your question, it sounds that even you know you cannot house it now. If you ask me, get rid of all your fish and sell all your tanks and buy a big tank / pond for this guy ;)

If you are building the 1000 gal yourself, it will take roughly 3x longer than you think. Such is my experience. I am always off by a factor of 3. When I think something should take 1 h, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, or 1 year to get done, it most usually takes 2 to 4.

It's not exceedingly uncommon for the job to never get done either!

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Thanks for confirming that is a true filamentosum. I'm in the process of planning for renovation of my basement and here in china. It costs about 20k rmb which is just over 3k usd to have a professionally made monster tank of let's say 1500 gallons and is pretty much assembled at your place and can have the tank cycled and jump started in no time.

As for the piraiba, may convince a friend to buy and hold for me lol

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
As for your question, it sounds that even you know you cannot house it now. If you ask me, get rid of all your fish and sell all your tanks and buy a big tank / pond for this guy ;)
He can't get rid of his characins! Lol get the piraiba when you have adequate accommodations is a better suggestion ;)

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Haha thanks for the words moe, yeah I love my characins too much to let them go. I'm probably going to convince my friend to get it and house it for awhile while I take my time to plan for a big foot print show tank. Lol

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's a very special fish. I wonder why it being sold so cheaply with respect to worldwide market prices. In US I think over $1000 would be asked for it. Even more in Japan but those guys are nuts about their fish. Perhaps a bit less in Indonesia and Philippines but still ~3x more than $300.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'd say jump on it if you can sort things out

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
The prices in china is due to the respect of the sheer size of the aquaria hobby. I honest believe it is bigger than what most people would like to believe. My fish importer friends import the baby wild caught ones that are 8-10cm for about 100 usd. They buy by bulk and whatever is available from their contacts in SA. I have the option to buy either the baby and put with my altum Angels or cash in on a steal for a medium sized one because the other hobbyist is running out of tank space to house it hence being so cheap. It's usually maybe about 400-450 usd at that size here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store