Tocantins ’24K gold’ Giant Talking Catfish (Megalodoras cf. uranoscopus)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm getting one over the weekend hopefully. This one grew from 10" to 14" and just kept getting lighter. Not as yellow of course as the ones in the photos, but it is one of a kind.
The guy you are asking seems to almost never come here but has an IG in the stats.

Any update on the fish you posted about 2 years ago? Can we see it?

Reactions: amazontank

Yaponchik

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
SEA
The guy you are asking seems to almost never come here but has an IG in the stats.

Any update on the fish you posted about 2 years ago? Can we see it?
Heya Viktor,

This was a year ago, but colors have not changed (fish isn't with me any longer) I doubt this is a Brazillian (they have been imported in my country many times now, and the color difference is incomparable)

It's still lighter than the Peru one, but was indeed yellow when I first got it, and very uncommon to have Uranoscopus like this, at least at the time. I would have chalked it up to diet, but as fellow keepers have also got "real" Brazillians on the same diet (algae wafers and chopped up fish) the yelllw colors have not changed drastically.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Gotcha. Thank you for this info. Yeah, your pair looks like our 10-pack, lighter brown on dark brown. Never seen the yellow-and-black one. If not too much to ask, could you please post some pics from Google images search to show in pictures the difference you are mentioning in words? I wonder what exactly you saw, even if just examples, not the exact fish of your peers that you saw.

Also, it looks like I erroneously thought it was only one river, the Tocathins, that had these brightly colored irwini, but you seem to imply that maybe all Brazilian irwini would be similar?

Yaponchik

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
SEA
Not as yellow as ones that abound the internet - which is why I presume that diet plays a key. Still yellow though. Not sure if they'd appreciate if I paste here - but since locally, it's a public matter, YGPM ☺

You may not be wrong at all - most of these fishes, if catch location is known particularly, they'd label it that way. People are careful - if export origin from a country does not have a particular location for their catch, the better sellers don't label in case someone eager calls out proof. In some instances, specific catch even come with a video - like for Moba Blue "Zaire". These command a premium.

It really depends on the distributors our friends in the industry are dealing with.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store