Transition species

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Whether or not science will agree, and bare this out?
I find Isthmoheros to be the evolutionary link between the Heros genus of South America, and the Vieja of North America.
Only found in eastern Panama and the Darien gap, and in the rivers of the Bayano basin, (only recently filled (in geologic time) in) by volcanic and sedimentation activity 3 million years ago that connected the 2 continents, is Isthmoheros. tuyrense
IMG_4693.jpegIMG_4695.jpegIMG_4709.jpeg

The other primitive cichlid, that seems to be both an ancestral form, near to the S American Geophagines, is Darienheris calobrense, limited to the same area, and (to me) the ancestral form, that split to form Amphilophines on the one hand, and Cribroheros on the other.
IMG_0087.jpegIMG_7829.jpegIMG_7821.jpeg

But not only cichlids, the Curimatidae, toothless tetras of the genus Cyphocharax, are Characins from the same area, and seem reminiscent of the South American genus Chilodus
IMG_4641.jpegIMG_4642.jpegIMG_4645.jpeg
Same for Plecos, all the Plecos of the genus Chaetostoma are all found in S America, except C Fischer found in this area of Panama
IMG_7811.jpegIMG_6616.jpeg
You may have already guessed (after seeing these pics), color is not my major motivation for keeping certain species.
I am much more fascinated by the evolutionary and historical aspects and ancient relationships, than thought of for the more sought after colorfulaquarium types.
And may be the reason I lean toward biotopes, and abhor human intervention, like hybridizing.

And one more for the ditch, Ctenolucius beanii, found here in this tiny sliver of Panama, while the others C hujeta are extensive in S America, in Colombia and Venezuela..
IMG_4593.jpegIMG_4500.jpeg

Last edited:

HUKIT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Crystal Lake, Illinois
I consider myself to be a knowledgeable fish keeper who loves Cental and South America fish but some of are you so incredibly more knowledgeable. Thank you sharing with us as this is the type of information I find most fascinating.

Reactions: Jexnell

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Whether or not science will agree, and bare this out?
I find Isthmoheros to be the evolutionary link between the Heros genus of South America, and the Vieja of North America.
Only found in eastern Panama and the Darien gap, and in the rivers of the Bayano basin, (only recently filled (in geologic time) in) by volcanic and sedimentation activity 3 million years ago that connected the 2 continents, is Isthmoheros. tuyrense
View attachment 1539326View attachment 1539327View attachment 1539328

The other primitive cichlid, that seems to be both an ancestral form, near to the S American Geophagines, is Darienheris calobrense, limited to the same area, and (to me) the ancestral form, that split to form Amphilophines on the one hand, and Cribroheros on the other.
View attachment 1539330View attachment 1539331View attachment 1539332

But not only cichlids, the Curimatidae, toothless tetras of the genus Cyphocharax, are Characins from the same area, and seem reminiscent of the South American genus Chilodus
View attachment 1539333View attachment 1539334View attachment 1539335
Same for Plecos, all the Plecos of the genus Chaetostoma are all found in S America, except C Fischer found in this area of Panama
View attachment 1539337View attachment 1539339
You may have already guessed (after seeing these pics), color is not my major motivation for keeping certain species.
I am much more fascinated by the evolutionary and historical aspects and ancient relationships, than thought of for the more sought after colorfulaquarium types.
And may be the reason I lean toward biotopes, and abhor human intervention, like hybridizing.

And one more for the ditch, Ctenolucius beanii, found here in this tiny sliver of Panama, while the others C hujeta are extensive in S America, in Colombia and Venezuela..
View attachment 1539340View attachment 1539341
Rican et al 2016 found that their clade is sister to the amphilophus/archocentrus clade. They share a clade with the other southern CA species (talamancaheros, darienheros, panamius). The actual most basal lineage of central american cichlids is the astatheroines, consisting of astatheros, rocio, cribroheros, tomocichla, and herotilapia, with the latter being the most ancestral of the group. This was based on combined ddrad and nuclear (molecular) data.

1000042662.png

Reactions: neutrino
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store