Two Distichodus sexfasciatus, 1' and 2'+, in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A bit of an interesting story from a peer on YT (on a video on the story of our purple labeo):

@Hemp1972 Cooool. Never knew that. I had a D. sexfasciatus. Got killed by a Channa asiatica in a 'jerktank' some years ago. I still have the asiatica.
TBTB Thank you. What were their sizes when this occurred? Was it predatory or territorial?

@Hemp1972 They were both about one foot, and it happened in a 200 gallon tank. Out of the blue and at night. I got the sexfasciatus when she was one inch. She hid in a school of Desmopuntius pentazona; same size!
TBTB Interesting. Thank you. So the two had not shown prior history of conflicts. It's funny to find a six-barred distichodus, an African characin, in a school of five-barred barbs from the Asian Borneo :)

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
A bit of an interesting story from a peer on YT (on a video on the story of our purple labeo):

@Hemp1972 Cooool. Never knew that. I had a D. sexfasciatus. Got killed by a Channa asiatica in a 'jerktank' some years ago. I still have the asiatica.
TBTB Thank you. What were their sizes when this occurred? Was it predatory or territorial?

@Hemp1972 They were both about one foot, and it happened in a 200 gallon tank. Out of the blue and at night. I got the sexfasciatus when she was one inch. She hid in a school of Desmopuntius pentazona; same size!
TBTB Interesting. Thank you. So the two had not shown prior history of conflicts. It's funny to find a six-barred distichodus, an African characin, in a school of five-barred barbs from the Asian Borneo :)

Can you reply to my post here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/six-bar-distichodus.757332/

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store