types of semi aquatic plants?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
No.
Adding Any fertilisers would defeat the object of them removing nutrients (nitrates) from the water.
Agree
I haven't used any fertilizers with either Papyrus or Mangrove, just the fish waste from the tanks population.
The difference though, its the Papyrus is an extremely fast grower
In comparison Mangrove is an extremely slow grower, so nitrate intake and reduction in turn, would coincide.
IMG_4343.jpeg
I first collected the Mangrove Propogules (pods) on the beach, in 2021, and they looked like the ones above and below.
IMG_4084.jpegIMG_4344.jpeg
And here they are in 2024 (below)at between 1 and 2 ft of growth above the water surface
IMG_3098.jpeg
The shots where the roots have split the bamboo were taken in 2023
IMG_0426.jpegIMG_0152.jpeg
Below is a pH (left) and nitrate test (right) of my 300 gal system, from around the same timeIMG_0234.jpeg
Beside the Black mangrove above, I also collected Red mangrove Propogules below
IMG_5381.jpeg
Once the Red Mangrove get established, the lose the winglike lobes.
IMG_5347.jpeg

Last edited:

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
thanks everyone, this will not only help me filter my pond but also add some beauty to it and those are some insane plants there duanes.

Morti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2024
Are you using artificial lighting to grow these plants? If you are then I think water lettuce would struggle but pothos, peace lillies and monstera should be fine. If you have plenty of natural light then water cress is great as is the papyrus/cyperus (cyperus alternifolius is a good easily available species).
Pothos, peace lillies and monstera can usually be found in hardware stores or the house plant area at a local nursery. You can buy water cress from the supermarket and cyperus might be in the pond section of your lfs.

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
Are you using artificial lighting to grow these plants? If you are then I think water lettuce would struggle but pothos, peace lillies and monstera should be fine. If you have plenty of natural light then water cress is great as is the papyrus/cyperus (cyperus alternifolius is a good easily available species).
Pothos, peace lillies and monstera can usually be found in hardware stores or the house plant area at a local nursery. You can buy water cress from the supermarket and cyperus might be in the pond section of your lfs.
my indoor pool pond receives about 10 hours of sunlight, so i think think it should be enough. Thanks for the information.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store