Upcoming project: Creativity, Form and Function.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Had some time today to work on this project since an appointment fell through. Some things to be tweaked.

Here's the black lava rock. Since it's smaller than expected I'm ditching the 'basket bottom' idea and bagged it instead. When doing diy I find its always a good idea to have backup materials.

Each bag approx 1lb.

black lava rock.jpg

media bags.jpg

full bags.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
The Fluval media. The blocks remind me of fiberglass and are extremely porous. Pieces are around 3/4" of an inch. Lighweight compared to the lava rock.

fluval media.jpg

fluval bagged.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Semi Final Mock up. This is just the basic idea. Finalized version will have the powerheads flush with the top. I haven't cut or painted the pvc yet...the " t "pieces are just for convenience here to show the structure. Not feeling the sponges though, the contact area is poor. Will likely get round canister pads or a large sheet, whichever is cheaper. There's space enough for 4lbs media in each vase.

mock up.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Ok...

Pvc pipe is cut and ready to be painted. Will post pic when its done.

Bio Bale arrived this morning! Each bag one gallon. 9 bucks. 33 sq ft surface area for bio filtration per bag. The instructions are pretty basic. I can mix this with the bio bale in the aquaclears.

From what I've calculated each home made canister can hold up to 5lbs of media...a bit less if a heater is placed inside.

I've ordered 2 pond sponge packs They are round with large pre cut center holes. Not as cheap as I'd hoped but they'll last forever. Pond sponges seem to run a bit more than standard.

The bio Bale. They used to have it in blue too, not sure if that's still available.

bio bale.jpg

instructions bb.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store