URGANT STINGRAY HELP

louiloui

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2022
Scotland
So at the beginning of the week I noticed both my black diamond and mini marble motoro stingrays acting a little off. They were hiding all the time and not really showing as much interest in food. Over the last 3 or 4 days there condition has worsened.

I contacted the breeder seeking help and was told to treat with Fluke P so I did. Even after treating the rays health has continued to deteriorate. It’s like the skin on the disc is rotting or something, I really struggle to describe the issue. Please see the photos and YouTube videos for yourself.

Today the rays won’t eat. Water parameters are fine as always except nitrates are a little high. (I do daily 30%~ water changes and somehow still accumulated up to or above 40ppm nitrate (api nitrate test)
The breeder said it’s caused by bad water quality and called it “laying spots which is something I’ve never heard of nor can I find any information anywhere about this.

Any help would be much appreciated, I’m currently doing heaps of water changes to get the nitrates low but I’m almost certain there’s more going on that simply bad water quality. None the less, I’m going to be setting up a drip system so there will always be fresh water dripping into the system.

Tank size 280x70x60cm LxWxH and the tanks stocked with 1 silver arrowana, 3 mono p bass, 1 black diamond stingray 1 mini marble motoro and 1 tiger shovel nose x red tail hybrid. The largest fish are the bass at around 30cm. Stingrays are roughly 14cm across and 20cm across.

YouTube video:

18BCCFA4-A2ED-4C4D-924E-CB8B33338CD5.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Have seen the shifting spots before. The ray is really stressed. Would remove any potential forms of stress - maybe divide off from rest of tank, and keep on the water changes. Removing the stress and clean water is about all you can do. Hope for the best. We had a P14 do this - huge dent in the forehead, didn't eat for a couple weeks. Assumed it was from an eye injury. I'm not a bass keeper, but would be suspicious of them possibly stressing the ray out?

Reactions: kno4te

louiloui

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2022
Scotland
Have seen the shifting spots before. The ray is really stressed. Would remove any potential forms of stress - maybe divide off from rest of tank, and keep on the water changes. Removing the stress and clean water is about all you can do. Hope for the best. We had a P14 do this - huge dent in the forehead, didn't eat for a couple weeks. Assumed it was from an eye injury. I'm not a bass keeper, but would be suspicious of them possibly stressing the ray out?
Thank you for your message! I totally agree. The rays have been sectioned off and I am actively looking for a new home for the 2 larger bass. Water changes are going to my priority and attempting to feed prawns and hikari carnivorous pellets.

If I fail to rehome the bass soon I’ll pay to have them shipped to simstropicalfish rescue.

Bugallo 25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2023
HOla amigo en que situación está tus rayas? La mía está similar fíjate y dame una ayuda porfavor gracias

IMG20230725135540.jpg

IMG20230725135535.jpg

IMG20230725135515.jpg

IMG20230725135507.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store