What kind of gold fish do i have

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I had a hard time viewing them so you may be correct 😆.
The pictures just blurry enough in the right places to not be able to tell properly. But if the tail is doubled like in most fancy goldfish then it’s a wakin but if not it’s a comet.

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I wouldn't call those "comets". Comets are more streamlined, with longer tails and more slender bodies. These just look like two plain ordinary common goldfish. I know it comes as a shock, but most goldfish aren't anything other than goldfish. People want to look at every goldfish they see and assign it the name of some accepted breed. All goldfish are the same species (Carassius auratus) and the vast majority of them are just plain goldfish.

It's like seeing a street dog in a Caribbean country, or an Indian village, or an African marketplace. They all look pretty much the same, and they are all the same species (Canis lupus familiarus). Sure, some carefully-bred dogs are Greyhounds or Dachshunds or Mastiffs or Poodles or whatever...but for every purebreed there are hundreds or thousands of just plain mutts.

In both cases, people want to call them something special because they don't care for the idea of owning a Just Plain Mutt.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
Their tails are not doubled how do you sex a comet?
I wouldn't call those "comets". Comets are more streamlined, with longer tails and more slender bodies. These just look like two plain ordinary common goldfish. I know it comes as a shock, but most goldfish aren't anything other than goldfish. People want to look at every goldfish they see and assign it the name of some accepted breed. All goldfish are the same species (Carassius auratus) and the vast majority of them are just plain goldfish.

It's like seeing a street dog in a Caribbean country, or an Indian village, or an African marketplace. They all look pretty much the same, and they are all the same species (Canis lupus familiarus). Sure, some carefully-bred dogs are Greyhounds or Dachshunds or Mastiffs or Poodles or whatever...but for every purebreed there are hundreds or thousands of just plain mutts.

In both cases, people want to call them something special because they don't care for the idea of owning a Just Plain Mutt.

How do I tell if their male or female?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store