What puffer would you recomend for a 3ft

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I have a spare 3ft tank and I had been thinking for a while that I would like to keep a puffer. I've not kept puffers for about 15 years where I had one or two in species only tanks I think one had a red spot on its side but I cant recall the type.

I have a localish shop that seems to stock quite a few types so I am wondering what type you would recomend that would be fine in my limited spare tank size. My feeding and water change regime is quite heavy on my other tanks so maintaining water quality is not an issue

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Most of the lurkers, schoutodini, fig 8, green spot, any Carinotetraodon, or valentini/Toby puffer would all work.
Note that the gsp and valentini/Toby are marine puffers, and the fig 8 is brackish.
Amazons and avocado/golden would really need a 4 ft once full grown because of their high activity level.

Reactions: FahakaPapa

OhioCLE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
Ohio, South of Cleveland
Our old Cutcutia had a shotglass sized body and quite outgoing (not shy).
Here is an internet photo of their side profile (photo #1).

Another one we tried out was Pao Palustris, but it was a little more shy.

Most of these are seasonal incoming fish from the right places online.

Lastly, there are those times your local store gets a random unknown puffer in and you are there at the right time.
We had luck finding a new unknown and took it home, but it had a fungus and we could not save it in time.
The 'target' puffer only lasted a good portion of a week, then it flared up with whatever it seemed to have on it.

**Be careful when siphoning water (expectiing nothing bad to happen).
I almost got bit, just from bad habits of picking up things in the normal aquariums.
The puffers genereally don't know the difference between your finger and feeding time.
- Be careful!

Also be aware they will bite a worm looking airline hose.
Depending on the equipment/devices used, it's a good idea to have bite-proof items in the tank.
Midnight snacking habits can lead to a tube squirting water somewhere not expected.

The Puffer colors came out well when we used dark sand.
They may feel comfort on the dark substrates.

Have fun!
So many nice puffers to research and try out.

Cut L pufferjpg.jpg

20190706_161122(0).jpg

Target.jpg

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm thinking F8's I have kept them but many moons ago

Would they they be a risk to a couple of dragon gobies if they were added? I used to keep dragon gobies years ago and loved them but not had a bracksih set up since

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I would think they should be fine given enough hiding places and making sure the gobies get enough food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store