When is mean just too mean?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
So an aggression question for more experienced poly keepers. When is poly aggression too much?

My current stock consists of 16" Dabola Endli (WC), 13.5" Koliba lap. (WC), 13" Weeksii (WC), 12" Teugelsi (CB). The tank is 300g, 96" Long, 24" wide, 30" tall.

The problem child is the endli. From the anal fin I believe it to be a beast of a alpha male.

It started with territorial aggression with it taking over a 'stump' that had a hollow under its roots. Now that aggression seems to be whenever the endli comes out of its special spot it will bite at any other poly it encounters. The koliba and teugelsi both have splits in tail and a bit of fraying on the teug. Both of these poly run for their lives when they swim and encounter the endli. The weeksii will clamp down its fins and kind of ride it out and the endli had not bit down on its tail at all. The endli somewhat tolerates the weeksii but you can tell the weeksii is not happy with the encounter.

I feed tilapia and other stuff daily so I know its not necessarily hunger related. The fish gets along well with all the cichlids in the tank, just not other polys. So I feel Im at a choosing point here... either keep a solo endli or rehome the endli and keep the other three.

I was going to pull out the mopani it took over to put in another tank so I wonder if the aggression would decrease. What do you guys think?

Here is a pic of the wood and special spot it likes, of course he is much bigger now! His growth rate has been phenomenal. I tried to get a tape against the glass measurement last night and it sure looked to be 16" now.

So what to do? Ideas? Thoughts?

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Try to see how he behaves with his favorite wood gone. Getting more polys in there will always help with aggression. Whatever you do, keep it. It's a beautiful endli! At his growth rate, there is a potential to get to a monsterous size.

Reactions: DMD123

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Try to see how he behaves with his favorite wood gone. Getting more polys in there will always help with aggression. Whatever you do, keep it. It's a beautiful endli! At his growth rate, there is a potential to get to a monsterous size.
Agreed. More polys. Try to change the territory up. And keep all of them. Maybe get a nice big PBB next ;) maybe that'll put him in his place.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I will see how he does with his home gone. It does not help that his spot is I the middle of the tank and he gets to go at all the polys coming and going.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Bro i love that fish. Dont get rid of him !!!

No experience with this sort of thing but maybe take out all the hides just to see what happens (after taking out the middle stump and it doesnt work) maybe the lack of territories to claim and defend will have some affect

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Take out the wood, rearrange everything else, and take him out for a day or two so the others have time to establish spots. Maybe add some more stuff in, too, it would probably help if you had at least one good cave per poly and a few extras.
If he establishes a spot again and continues to bully, try putting things around his spot so that he won't be able to see out of it very well. Might keep him from attacking the others.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Ive dealt with the cichlid aggression and it usually does not just work its way out. In fact I just had to rehome one recently because it just would not work out. I guess I don't expect much of a change unless there is zero decor and nothing to defend. But I will start with the main center wood removal first and go from there.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Move stump to one side if you decide to put it back in, so atleast the other poly's will learn not to go there, and the other poly's will have a decent space to explore. I was given an aggressive Endli that shredded up the Endli I have now unfortunately I decided to get rid of the aggressive Endli. My largest female Ornate is the boss in my 180 lol, she only tolerate's the purple wolfish being near her. She only snaps at others if they get to close.:)

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store