which one is the best one?

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
piranha45 said:
I've always wondered: what do these carnivorous plecos subsist on in the wild? rotting fish?

Yes.

They live in a deep dark habbitat where little to none plantmatter grows. I would asume, dead animals sink down to the deeper parts of the river (in this case, where these plecos live) and sit at the bottum decaying.

These plecos are said to be found 40+ feet down.

which would be amazing considering there is no real way to get these fish other then catching them with your hands and a small net.

I have dove down 40-50 feet on a single breath of air and it was almost impossible for me to get back intime to catch my breath again.

I would really like to know how these plecos are caught.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
PeacockBass said:
Yes.

They live in a deep dark habbitat where little to none plantmatter grows. I would asume, dead animals sink down to the deeper parts of the river (in this case, where these plecos live) and sit at the bottum decaying.

These plecos are said to be found 40+ feet down.

which would be amazing considering there is no real way to get these fish other then catching them with your hands and a small net.

I have dove down 40-50 feet on a single breath of air and it was almost impossible for me to get back intime to catch my breath again.

I would really like to know how these plecos are caught.

Have you heard of pearl divers Peacock? There are people in asia like Japan, Philippines etc . that routinely dive 150(!) feet without oxygen and they can last
underwater for 2 minutes sometimes even more.

click me

That could be one theory. Those amazon fisherman can do crazy things in water i bet.

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
Most of the fancy plecos make poor algae eaters, and if you don't feed them a higher protein diet, they won't grow and will eventually waste away. Tough to do when you keep them with active preds..

My favorite has to be Pseudocanthicus sp. "Titanicus" (L273). Got one last year, and I am finding it difficult to feed him adequately. Might have to go back to bloodworms. It has only grown about an inch (4 inches now). Would probably do better with smaller Tetras and such rather than my small pred. cats and Datnoid. Expensive little suckers - got mine for a steal for $100 CAD. The owner of the LFS was trying to get them in for well over a year, and finally he got 2 in and still gave me a deal (was selling them for $125).

One of the most skittish of the 'Plecos'. Will try to post pics (best pic I got was a 1/4 shot perfectly focused, or a full blurred fish).

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
I will try to get an actual pic of my specimen - more orange than yellow, but a few less markings than the one pictured above. Just hides all day, and I better move him soon before my young RTC eats him. That would be an easy way to take a pic though - the old 'hand' trick (not the bulge in the belly trick!).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store