Why do you think Congo spotted puffers do not eat cherry shrimps ?

TheBtchWhisperersWife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2013
MoCo, Maryland
They're really more of a molluscivore and not particularly stealthy. They're also layyyyyyyyyyzyyyyyy. If they're getting enough food that they don't have to chase, they aren't going to bother with something hard to catch.

Muserudita

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2023
They're really more of a molluscivore and not particularly stealthy. They're also layyyyyyyyyyzyyyyyy. If they're getting enough food that they don't have to chase, they aren't going to bother with something hard to catch.
I had been considering them so that they would keep any problem populations of snails under control. I was thinking of having just one in a planted 30g tank

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Since we are discussing puffer fish and their compatibility with red cherry shrimp- what would you think of a pea puffer in with shrimp?
I had pea puffers and they will kill and eat the cherry shrimps. Also I had amazon puffers, figure 8 puffer and green spotted puffers and they all would hunt down and eat the cherry shrimps.
Only my Congo spotted puffers do not eat cherry shrimps. They however ate 5 of my Armani shrimps which were much bigger than my cherry shrimps.

TheBtchWhisperersWife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2013
MoCo, Maryland
I had pea puffers and they will kill and eat the cherry shrimps. Also I had amazon puffers, figure 8 puffer and green spotted puffers and they all would hunt down and eat the cherry shrimps.
Only my Congo spotted puffers do not eat cherry shrimps. They however ate 5 of my Armani shrimps which were much bigger than my cherry shrimps.
Yeah, pea puffers are vicious.

Reactions: professorjimjam

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I just saw another video on YouTube from another guy who has Congo spotted puffers and there is a colony of cherry shrimps in his tank and the puffer don’t eat them. It seems that it is the normal behavior for this congo spotted puffer that they will not eat cherry shrimps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store