wobbly tank stand

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
I just got back from picking up a 150 gallon with stand. I set the stand up and it wobbles. I tried moving it around but it still wobbles the same amount. When I put the tank on the stand the tank sets flush to the stand but the whole thing wobbles. When i hold it to were it wouldnt wobble one corner is about an 1/8 of an inch off the ground. The stand is the one you would get in a petsore combo. I got this one off someone on craigslist. Should I go get some shims to put under that one corner or will I need a new stand?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was thinking that you should take it back untill I saw where you said you got it off of Craigslist.The shims should do the trick.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
You can shimmy your stand but just remember that 150 gals of water weighs over a 1,800 lbs. I'm hoping your stand is solid wood stand and not made of a particle board. If it's not wood, I'd buy a new one.

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
I bought a stand for a 100 gallon tank for my 80 gallon tank and the stand did wobble. When it is filled with water and with all the weight, it will not wobble. I did not do anything to it. This is just me thou. Other people will try and do something else.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
erk419;3734087; said:
Yeah its wood and not partical board
Good thing too.That particle board is just about useless after it gets wet enough times.I have a small stand made from it and the inner floor of the cabinet has sunken in a few inches from water getting on it.

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Did u check if your floor is perfectly level? My 225g metal stand wobbled and I put some coins under the corners for it to be level but that's because my floor wasn't perfectly leveled.

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
Just shim it. I have done this on a few of my tanks several years ago and have had no problems since. Put the shims under the corner where you get the tank leveled the best (use a level with no water in the tank).

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
I put 3 shims on one were it was the worst I put that one in the farthest then three other corners but barely put them in. The 4th corner I couldnt get one in. Now it don't wobble at all. It wasnt the floor cause I put another stand there and it didnt wobble at all and the wobble stand would wobble the same amount know matter were it was setting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store