Chinese hi fin banded loaches at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Useful from YT!

Ian-qw1zb Okay so I'd like to be corrected on this if it's not true but can't find anything saying that they can handle water below 40°. I have one he's probably about 10 inches and I separated him from my koi when I finished my outdoor pond and put my koi outside. And it's because I can't find anything saying they can handle it when the water freezes over. As a matter of fact i have been told they can't handle our New York Winters.. their comfort range is 55 to 72 they go dormant below 55 (the same as koi) and to my understanding they go belly up below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. They're from the Yangtze River and I don't believe the Yangtze River ever freezes it stays cold year round but. But like I said I can't find nothing saying they can.

Jack-gh3vs I can give you my first hand experience keeping one in northern Colorado. I got about a 4 inch high fin in late march of 2023 and put him into my koi pond. He’s fed solely on algae within the pond and is growing well. He overwintered perfectly, just as the koi and goldfish do. The ice on the pond got to about 5 inches thick. I do have a waterfall and a couple of air stones running on the pond just to give you an idea of my setup. The pond is 3 foot deep in the deepest part, and probably about 1,000 gallons

Ian-qw1zb thank you that helps first-hand experience is what I was looking for. And I bet the algae will make it grow well.. they seem to be a picky eater preferring to graze and never to compete.. super docile fish. So then there's the only other thing is can they handle 90 degrees +excessively in a 3-foot pond mine is roughly 1400 gallons planning on building one adjacent to it with a connecting stream next year..

Fish-Story Wonderful input, thank you so much! My two thoughts connected to this are that this pond is on the small and shallow end and there is a risk that it'd freeze all the way to the bottom at some time (cold winter, cold spell), which would kill all fish. And the other thought is trivial, I am sure you know - the pond needs to have a breather hole open all the time it is iced over for gas exchange.

Fish-Story A couple of visitors of ours were from Massachusetts and maybe NY or NJ and had had High Fins in their koi ponds for decade+. I am sure their ponds freeze over. But no personal 1sthand experience of mine. You did make me doubt! :) I am so grateful for the Colorado Jack's input.

Fish-Story As I reported before and also in this video, our prior attempts with High Fins led to their demise at temps over 85F, despite superb aeration. I believe. Can't prove it but the two tries with multiple fish each time seemed quite consistent to me.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Jack-gh3vs There are always multiple breather holes from the air stones, which can close if it gets very cold, but the waterfall keeps a permanent opening where the water pours into the main pond. In terms of freezing solid, I highly doubt that this could happen as there is a decent flow in my pond and the winter never stays cold enough long enough for the ice to get more than 5 inches thick in my experience. Either way I stay vigilant all winter to make sure that the ice doesn’t get too thick to as impede the flow into my skimmer, which pumps to the waterfall.

Jack-gh3vs The algae is definitely what keeps him so healthy and happy. I’ve read stories of people moving their high fins to outdoor ponds lacking algae and they end up dying. It’s the one thing keeping me from doing a giant spring cleanout. Regarding the high temperatures, the weather where I live can reach high 90s for a few weeks in the summer, but so far I haven’t seen any issues come from it. I think as long as you have higher aeration they should be able to survive higher temperatures for a few weeks, as is my experience. It is quite possible that permanent exposure to high temperatures could be harmful to them, as Vic experienced, but I can’t be certain since the temps don’t stay high enough here. I did originally buy 2 high fins, but the day after we put them in the pond we got a cold snap that really dropped temperature, leading to a fungus on one high fin that caused his death within a week of having him. The other one handled it just fine, so I think it was a combination of stress from moving “tanks” along with a sudden temperature change when it was used to stable temps. I’d just be sure to add your high fin once the weather warms up enough that there won’t be a sudden cold snap. Once they’re adjusted to outdoor living there really shouldn’t be an issue imo. There is a koi store I frequent that has a 3 foot long high fin in their show pond. That pond is 6 feet deep and probably 30x10 feet. I’m not sure what they feed it because there doesn’t seem to be much algae in its pond, but I’ll probably ask them next time I’m there. I really hope your high fin thrives outdoors!

Fish-Story Excellent! Wow, I didn't know you could have so much flow and not assist in cooling the water beyond what the cold weather can. I only kept a hole open with one bubbler when we lived in NY and had a 6ft deep 12000 gal koi pond. I can only repeat myself that it is wonderful to run into someone who knows what they are doing and shares it with others. Huge thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store