Rio Copan Vs. Rio Blanco Red Tiger Motaguense

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
Oh yeah, and I'm sure some "experts" fail to recognize the Gorillus Red Freckled Monsters as its own variant as well.
Which is dumb because a variant is really just a race not a species. I don't see why this is such a negative topic. It's still the same species just a different look. Like a white Nike and a brown Nike, different color but the same brand. Sorry for the lame comparison.lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
There is often wide variation among species from slightly different collection points. Most who study fish for documentation purposes look beyond coloration. If the waterways in which both variations were collected are directly connected, it is a stronger argument for variation.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Exactly - as Ken said, the Copan and Blanco are connected (tributaries) without a physical barrier to prevent mixing.

ALL of the fish in the hobby are from a very limited number of original fish collected (wild stock).

That the characteristics of the offspring of a handfull of individuals from each location exhibit slight visual differences from each other has more to do with variation within individuals in a population than differences between the two locations.

Matt

There is often wide variation among species from slightly different collection points. Most who study fish for documentation purposes look beyond coloration. If the waterways in which both variations were collected are directly connected, it is a stronger argument for variation.

Reactions: C. Breeze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store