Affordable high protien food for catfish

bradharm18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2012
St. George, UT
I'm looking for a more low budget food for my catfish that is high in protien and gets them the nutrients they need I've heard that chicken liver and beef heart is good but I wasn't sure right now they are on a strict diet of krill, prawns, silver sides, and massivore but all of these break the bank. Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
First off, you do not need to be feeding any type of "high" protein food as a regular staple to a catfish that is beyond the fry/juvenile stage of life.

Most catfish kept in captivity are omnivorous, they lead a lazy life, and will do just fine on a commercial formula in the 35% protein, 4-7% fat range. There are many low cost alternatives, that while may not provide premium nutrients, they will get the job done & will cost a small fraction compared to foods such as Massivore. Check out Purina Catfish pellets, the various Aquamax pond formulas, and even local feed mills that may be in your area. Some of the commercial catfish pond food can be purchased for $20-25, per 50lb bag.

HTH

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
My catfish just eat tilapia filets and stuff, with supplemental carnivore or cichlid pellets. If you sport fish, you can cut filets, and freeze them to help kill of parasites/bacteria, then thaw and feed.
A colony of nightcrawlers can also be started with relative ease.

Icthisapian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2012
Wareham, MA
you are askign a really fine line qustion here. The reason being, dog food would "technically" work as food and be fairly cheap/inexpensive, but not of the proper quality. Most quality foods will run you a little bit, even a bag of frozen tilapia filet at your local walmart isnt cheap. i find its easier on the wallet, to buy in bulk for several different foods, i use tilapia, massivore, algea wafers, cichlid gold and staple, along with frozen krill, beef heart. this way you vary thier diet regularly, feedign different food eevry day, and dotn use up all of just oen food at a time. IMO this is the best method.

When feeding ask yourself this question. Would you want to eat the same thing every day for every meal?

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
My catfish just eat tilapia filets and stuff, with supplemental carnivore or cichlid pellets. If you sport fish, you can cut filets, and freeze them to help kill of parasites/bacteria, then thaw and feed.
A colony of nightcrawlers can also be started with relative ease.
this is what i do. i go out and get some decent sunfish and fillet them. i then freeze them and cut them into eatable pieces. then just thaw and feed.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The problem with feeding dog food to a fish is not an issue with quality, but an issue with the incorrect balance of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, etc, and typically an excessive amount of fatty acids. These formulas are designed for dogs, not fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

bradharm18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2012
St. George, UT
First off, you do not need to be feeding any type of "high" protein food as a regular staple to a catfish that is beyond the fry/juvenile stage of life.

Most catfish kept in captivity are omnivorous, they lead a lazy life, and will do just fine on a commercial formula in the 35% protein, 4-7% fat range. There are many low cost alternatives, that while may not provide premium nutrients, they will get the job done & will cost a small fraction compared to foods such as Massivore. Check out Purina Catfish pellets, the various Aquamax pond formulas, and even local feed mills that may be in your area. Some of the commercial catfish pond food can be purchased for $20-25, per 50lb bag.

HTH
They are in the juvenile stages and need high protein and lots of nutrients in there diet. Low cost low quality is not what I'm looking for here

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store