Jellybean cichlids are Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
F1 short body lyonsi. From wild parents for those that arent sure.

Short body midas (regular midas mom and regular midas dad)

Just throwing it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jakeca77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Golden State of Mind
Nobody is right all the time...

One thing i learned. Or rather, two.

Do not debate nutrition with RD

do not debate hybrids and " oit of yhe ordinary cichlids " with chris.

Time lost. They know their stuff.

oscarman2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2008
Baltimore
I don't know why u guys argue with him obviously he has issues. I gets into it in with someone in every thread. He ask a question and everyone's answer is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
For those of you that think jellybean cichlids are not hybrids here a pic of a jellybean cichlid (blood parrot x pink convict), if jellybean cichlids are not hybrids then what are blood parrot x pink convict considered?
agreed, they ARE hybrids, not a fan of them ( use to have jelly bean con/bp ) but are better looking then blood parrots though.

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have never had a shortbody angelfish happen in the thousands of fry I have produced in the past but I know someone who produced three of them. All three were from different parents but the parents were "cousins". So I does happen to pure-breds. This same person also had one fully tail-less fish. It looked just like the mutilated Convicts and Oscars you see that had their tails amputated as fry. We never determined if it was genetic or if the fry got a tail infection that ate it's tail off while it was still tiny, though as it grew up there was no scar tissue and it's scales covered the area so perfectly that I tend to think it was genetic. There was NO space between where the dorsal fin ended and the anal fin ended. Mutilated fish often have a short space that is plainly visible as it grows larger. So back to shortbody. I think it can and does happen all the time, most breeders just throw them out as culls so you rarely see them. But to end this discussion cleanly, it is possible to create a jellybean by hybridizing a convict and a parrot. It is also possible to create a jellybean by preserving a random mutation. Both will look almost the same but have different genetics. Jellybeans bred in Asia that are mass produced are more than likely pure convict as they do not have the male sterilization problems that convict/parrot hybrids likely have. Can we play nice now?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Guys stop with the " idiot" calling, please. We go nowhere like that.

And Woofy, i am right all the time :)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I can say this safely.....most jellybeans cichlid you seen were shortbodied pink convicts these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store