Better all around bait minnows or worms?

Better all around bait?

• Total voters

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
worms . i can usually catch minnows there either with my cast net or flies. as long as you run the hook all the way through the worm bait thieves aren't as big of an issue.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm still wondering how a fish with half it's jaw missing was able to take a bait hook.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
worms . i can usually catch minnows there either with my cast net or flies. as long as you run the hook all the way through the worm bait thieves aren't as big of an issue.
Even small bluegills will play tug-of-war with the largest of earthworms and will ultimately shred it into pieces until there's nothing left on the hook. So, running a hook through the entire worm, which is how I always rig it, isn't anymore effective at deterring these little pests IME

Reactions: Frank Castle

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
you mean how did the hook stay in a minnow missing it's jaw or a fish he CAUGHT missing part of it's jaw?
HEY! Don't overthink this....my post was just a response to what was posted lol.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Minnows obviously. Worms is for panfish and it is impossible to keep thieves away from the worms. Shiners, chubs, smaller yellow perch, stonecats, small bullheads and sunnies will rip apart your worms in seconds. I use minnows and leeches more than earthworms to catch more fish, especially eating sized ones.

Reactions: Frank Castle

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I think as an all around bait worms are more versatile, in the sense more more species and sizes will take them
Not really, it's a more like feeding small fishes or catching 4-5" small sunnies with worms.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Although the question was best all around bait, are you arguing most more species/sizes feed on minnows?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store