Arowana not eating, request advice

Subhashish Paul

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
Have you tried different food sources?
Yes Friend - I have tried pellets, dried shrimps and even live feed. But no luck so far. I am guessing the two arowanas will take a day or two more to settle in before they start eating. The fights have gone down considerably.

Jennilyn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
Man your tank looks great. That powerhead will help. My power head is the most important equipment in my aro comm. another suggestion is to add some big pieces of driftwood. Something for the weaker fish to escape to when they need a break from the fighting.

I think you will succeed. Don't buy another fish... save the money for a bigger tank asap!

Subhashish Paul

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
Man your tank looks great. That powerhead will help. My power head is the most important equipment in my aro comm. another suggestion is to add some big pieces of driftwood. Something for the weaker fish to escape to when they need a break from the fighting.

I think you will succeed. Don't buy another fish... save the money for a bigger tank asap!
Thank you Friend - I will try and get a powerhead asap. With reference to the drift wood the only reason I have not added that is because I have heard that Arowanas have been been known to injure themselves with that. Do you still recommend a driftwood? Thank you again for the help here. I will post the video here once the new member ban lifts.

Subhashish Paul

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017

It is with a heavy heart that I have to mention that my silver Arowana died today. To be frank it was a big surprise to us as everything looking to be going good and then today when I work up in the morning I saw that the Silver had been roughed up pretty bad and that it was having difficulty breathing. I did transfer the silver to a separate 2 feet tank immediately but by then the damage had already been done and it was not able to recover.

I do feel very sad at this moment and I guess as of now I will only keep the Green Arowana in the tank and only look to adding more after I upgrade my current tank to a 7Ft one but nothing in the near future. Thank you again all for all the support and help here!

Jennilyn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
Sry to hear bro. Look at it this way, millions of ppl would love to owe that Green Arowana that you have. But I suggest not trying another Arowana ever. Green Arowana are the hardest to Comm from my research and by the time you are ready, it be well to big and mean to add another Aro.

Subhashish Paul

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
Sry to hear bro. Look at it this way, millions of ppl would love to owe that Green Arowana that you have. But I suggest not trying another Arowana ever. Green Arowana are the hardest to Comm from my research and by the time you are ready, it be well to big and mean to add another Aro.
Seems like a bad day friend as in the morning today even the Green one died. It was floating at the top upside down with its back arched. Maybe it got injured too by the silver?!! Long story short, I spent the last couple of hours cleaning the entire tank. I emptied the entire water and placed in new water. I shifted the silver dollars to the 2Ft tank that I have. I have now filled the 4ft tank with water and I have started the water heater ( setting it to 30 C) & also the Eheim Classic 600 filter again so that the tank is setup before I get a new Arowana today.

To sum it up, its been a crazy day and I dont think I am going to try and comm a Arowana anytime soon. Let me just get one Arowana and try and bring it up properly rather than getting multiple and messing up the entire thing. Your thoughts? Thanks for the help here again.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
S Subhashish Paul ... I am sorry for your loss....

You ask for our thoughts.... unfortunately I dont think this is what you want to hear but I do mean well.... dont get another arowana now....... Set up your tank with a few fish you enjoy and wait until you have your big tank before you get an arowana again....

Rather sacrifice and wait a litle and reap the rewards later... Sorry... its how I feel...

Reactions: Subhashish Paul

Subhashish Paul

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
S Subhashish Paul ... I am sorry for your loss....

You ask for our thoughts.... unfortunately I dont think this is what you want to hear but I do mean well.... dont get another arowana now....... Set up your tank with a few fish you enjoy and wait until you have your big tank before you get an arowana again....

Rather sacrifice and wait a litle and reap the rewards later... Sorry... its how I feel...
Hello Friend - I do agree with your advice. It is not that I do not want to heed to your advice but the matter of the fact is that the members of my family really admire Arowana as a fish and hence that is the primary choice when it comes to keeping a fish.

The reason I have to wait for a couple of months to upgrade to a bigger tank is because I would be changing my house (currently staying in a rented accommodation and would be moving to a permanent one in that time frame). Hence we have to wait till we move to the new house so that we can build the new tank properly as per the dimensions of the house.

Also, I would wait for a couple of months before I keep fish in my aquarium but its difficult to make my 6 yr old understand who is heartbroken from this experience and hence a new Arowana would help in lifting the spirits of the family members higher.

I thank you for understanding my position and for your advice. I look forward to your continued support so that I can bring up the new Arowana properly.

Ryanduan

Jack Dempsey
Feb 26, 2017
Your Aros aren't eating due to stress, new environment etc. Whoever has been giving u advice has got to be mad given your tank size. Green Aros given the right condition can grow very big, even bigger than reds sometimes. The silver Aro is also prone to grow to very large sizes. Adding a third would be tantamount to suicide. Introducing fish could have also cause a imbalance in the water chemistry.

Divide the tank if you can as a temporary solution. I am sure as a owner you would want your fishes to attain maximum growth potential hence your 4ft tank is the absolute bare minimum per fish and even that unless you are skilful I wouldn't recommend it. The fishes could take some time to start eating and also heal from damages inflicted. Whatever other solution in my opinion is a stop gap measure given the tank size is too small for 2 Aros yet alone a third.
Have you tried different food sources?
Where can I get a Asian arowana ?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Hello Friend - I do agree with your advice. It is not that I do not want to heed to your advice but the matter of the fact is that the members of my family really admire Arowana as a fish and hence that is the primary choice when it comes to keeping a fish.

The reason I have to wait for a couple of months to upgrade to a bigger tank is because I would be changing my house (currently staying in a rented accommodation and would be moving to a permanent one in that time frame). Hence we have to wait till we move to the new house so that we can build the new tank properly as per the dimensions of the house.

Also, I would wait for a couple of months before I keep fish in my aquarium but its difficult to make my 6 yr old understand who is heartbroken from this experience and hence a new Arowana would help in lifting the spirits of the family members higher.

I thank you for understanding my position and for your advice. I look forward to your continued support so that I can bring up the new Arowana properly.
I think easier to start your fish keeping after you have shifted

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store