Pics of mudskippers and hog chokers

kkirkt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2017
My mudskippers finally made it out of their quarantine tank and I just wanted to share a few pics. I tried to make a video but wasn't sure how to get that large of a file from my iPhone to my laptop to postside view skip & hog.jpg
Here you can see one hogchoker on the side, one mudskipper on the side, and several mudskippers on various platformsside view skip & hog.jpg Skip from top.jpg

Mudskippers from above. One is eating a cricket and another just took a bite of some frozen food.

Hog w: worm.jpg
Hog choker eating an earthworm.

Fat hog.jpg

The same hogchoker after hiding in the sand. You can see his eyes and the dark shadow is his full belly.

This is my first time posting pics, so I hope this worked out (I don't know why one seems to have posted twice).

Tank info:
125 gallon (6 feet long) brackish setup (~1.006 s.g.)
5 Indian Mudskippers (Periophthalmus Septemradiatus)
2 Hogchokers (Trinectes maculatus)
3 Zebra Nerite snails
20++ Mollies (started with 8, plan is that the fry are some of the food for the hogchokers- I've seen that happen once)
10+ ghost shrimp
A few assorted plants and way too much hair algae Skip from top.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice,I have seen mudskippers for sale from time to time and have been tempted to try them in a set up.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Beautiful brackish set up any plans to add a dragon fish? (They help keep the sand clean)

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
How big are the hogchockers? I only ever see really small ones for sale around here.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kkirkt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2017
Thanks for the comments. I started this brackish tank with the hope of getting mudskippers, it just took a lot longer than I hoped for. I also wanted a figure 8 puffer but after recieving some advice from others I decided to not get the figure 8 puffers with my current stock.

Deadliestviper7- I've thought about a violet goby (dragon goby) but I have a few concerns- size (I prefer smaller fish since I don't have a huge aquarium) and I didn't know if they would interfere with the hog chokers. Although both are native to southeast USA. I've definitely thought about it and would love to hear from people that have them.

Spotfin- The hog chokers are about 3.5 inches and 4 inches (long). They were about the size of a nickel when I got them. Initially live black worms were the food of choice.. Now they primarily eat earthworms with occasional Hikari Carnivore bites and frozen blood worms. I have seen one eat a Molly fry (which is wha I hoped would happen). The difficult thing is that they. only eat what is right in front of them (or on them) since they are ambush feeders. With a mixed tank, the mollies quickly get interested when I feed the hogchokers. I try to feed the mollies then quickly feed the hog chokers. I love feeding the hogchokers when people visit. I tell them to watch the worm and then suddenly it disappears as the hidden hog choker grabs it (visitors never see the hogchokers initially).

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Wow. beautiful tank, and you're the first person I've heard claim to have kept hogchokers successfully. I love flatfish, I need some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store