Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Wish I had some answers for those who want to stop drinking. My family over many decades has been loaded with heavy drinkers. Most never were able to stop drinking and were alcoholics with all the negative stuff, financial and health wise, included. I am talking parent, cousins, uncles and grandparents.

It was such a common thing that as I grew up I thought I needed to learn how to drink. We were somewhat judged by how we could hold our liquor. I was lucky/unlucky in some ways. Lucky in if I drank enough to get beyond tipsy and for sure if I approached being drunk, that I had terrible hangovers with horrendous headaches that lasted for days. Also lucky in that I always found the taste of hard liquor to be awful.

But I tried for a few years when young as that was what pretty much all around me, outside of family as well as family, were doing. I thought for a while everyone had the same bad hangovers as I did and that I just did not measure up.

So it turned out I was prone to migraines and the alcohol was one of my triggers. Made it so much easier to reduce my alcohol intake. One beer a day is safe and maybe a ounce or less of hard liquor. This is what saved me during much of my life. After I reached age 62 I have not been getting the migraines. So 9 years migraine free as of now. I still keep to the one beer a day limit as I am too old to start a new destructive hobby. I also do not drink often. Takes me about a year to drink a case of beer. Pretty weak I guess.

I have watched some people destroy themselves with alcohol. A very few have been able to stop drinking so very much and even fewer have been able to quit long term. Near as I can tell it is a very personal incentive. The drinker has to at some point really want to stop for their own reasons. Doing it for family, loved ones or for fear of losing a job seems to help but not so much in the long run as several went back to the drinking. I keep hoping I am wrong about this as I have a close relative who has his drinking under control during the working part of the week but gets loaded on the weekends.

Near as I can tell from the outside is the drinker has to find some inner something stronger that the addiction. Moderation is better than heavy drinking short term but eventually the alcohol gets back into control. For me it was simple in that having a migraine triggered by drinking was not worth it. I was lucky that I had such horrible hangovers and never got into the regular heavy drinking.

Good luck to those wanting to stop drinking. I hope you find the strength.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
hello; I notice that sometimes there are double posts. This was happening to me a while back from time to time. Not sure why but think I have a way to avoid double posts.
I think the site, the internet or something gets too loaded up somehow. When I hit the Post Reply button nothing will happen and I also noted the a small black rectangle shows up in the upper right portion of my screen.
At first I would hit the Post Reply again but now I just it the back arrow on my screen. Seems to work as I have checked to see if my post loaded up and they do.
I have not had a double post since starting to do it this way. Those of you who know computers and the internet might try this and come up with a technical explaination?
I'll have this happen every few post attempts and to avoid a double post I simply move on to another thread or subforum while the system takes it's time adding my post.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I refresh myself, i know post went through I refresh and its up.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
as for drinking, in all honesty I am a functional alcoholic, I know this. its fine line folks like me walk, Am I holding the bottle or can or is the bottle/can holding me. I love my 6 pack after work every day (Budweiser). On the weekends 30 pack get me to Sunday, and love my morning whisky and coffee on Sunday morning. I will say in my own defense which is crap, that work gets done while I am drinking, otherwise I lay in a recliner and potato to TV.

its that mind set thing posted already.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...knot-of-tails/ar-BBNq1D5?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp

hello; This story of the young squirrels with their tails in a knot made me think of what happened when I was around ten years old. I found a very young squirrel one day on the ground near my home. I took it in and fed it. Best I recall now I somehow rigged a way to get it to drink milk at first. Anyway it lived and I called it Alexander. I was allowed to keep it in a box but it soon enough got a bit bigger and in good shape. It was coming on winter so my parents allowed me to keep it inside. It would climb on us and all over the house. It was neat and fun to have around.
One day mom opened the sliding bottom drawer of the stove where she kept some pans. I guess the tail got caught somehow and a little less than half got cut off. The squirrel recovered well enough.
When it warmed up the next spring I fixed a way for it to come and go outside. eventually it never came back. I did see it a few times in the trees around the house for a time and could tell by the short tail.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...knot-of-tails/ar-BBNq1D5?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp

hello; This story of the young squirrels with their tails in a knot made me think of what happened when I was around ten years old. I found a very young squirrel one day on the ground near my home. I took it in and fed it. Best I recall now I somehow rigged a way to get it to drink milk at first. Anyway it lived and I called it Alexander. I was allowed to keep it in a box but it soon enough got a bit bigger and in good shape. It was coming on winter so my parents allowed me to keep it inside. It would climb on us and all over the house. It was neat and fun to have around.
One day mom opened the sliding bottom drawer of the stove where she kept some pans. I guess the tail got caught somehow and a little less than half got cut off. The squirrel recovered well enough.
When it warmed up the next spring I fixed a way for it to come and go outside. eventually it never came back. I did see it a few times in the trees around the house for a time and could tell by the short tail.
Reminds me of what's called a "rat king" it's a bunch of rats whose tails are knotted together, they are really rare and it's not known why they occur, it's unlikely it occurs as young in nest, because baby rats have short tails, more likely they occur because someone has way to much time on their hands and makes their own rat kings for others to find.

Reactions: J. H. and DOOB

DOOB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2018
toronto canada
LOL ive never heard of this before and ive lived on a farm pretty much 50yrs. I friggin hate squirrels and wish all of them had their tails tied in a knot together!!!

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store