Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Haha I love these.In the afternoon a guy on the radio lets off a few every day.
Wish our local radio done stuff like that. Recently all they talk about is the damn AFL (Australian football) grand final - the damn thing was on Saturday and the radio just draaaags on about bullcrap that doesn't matter. I don't even know who won yet! :confused:

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; There exist genetically altered flies that have been raised without functioning wings since before 1968. Back then some drosophila melanogaster flies (fruit flies) were exposed to radiation. Their offspring had vestigial wings and this genetic modification was then passed on to future offspring. I did a term paper on them along with raising a few thousand of them.

They can be purchased from several scientific supply companies. I do not have any now but over the decades have kept them at my homes and have fed them to my fish . They have little stubby wings so do not fly. Makes them a great live food for top water feeders such a s a betta. Easy to raise.

Have to be a little careful now days as there are now a few flightless strains of these flies. Some are not so hardy. I may be out of touch but think the ones I like are called vestigial winged drosophila melanogaster. ( vestigial winged fruit flies).

If still in business they should still be available from Carolina Biological Supply.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I think such flies are used for feeders by those who keep exotic tropical frogs.
Hello; Good to know. The neat things about them is they can not get loose and fly all over. I have had a few get loose but they can only walk around and do not become a pest in the home.
They can be raised on bananas but this is a smelly way. I usually get some of the dry food media from the biological supply house that you mix with a little water. Not as much smell. They are a generally safe live food and bite sized for smaller fish such a s a betta.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Hello; Good to know. The neat things about them is they can not get loose and fly all over. I have had a few get loose but they can only walk around and do not become a pest in the home.
They can be raised on bananas but this is a smelly way. I usually get some of the dry food media from the biological supply house that you mix with a little water. Not as much smell. They are a generally safe live food and bite sized for smaller fish such a s a betta.
It depends some are only flightless at certain temps. I can't remember which ones maybe the curled wing ones.

I raise Mel's (look like big ants) and Turkish gliders. Occassionally in screw up and mix them only to have fliers in 2 weeks

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store