The Red Texas Cichlid that Isn't?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The pearling in all of these fish originates from carpintis, but as Rocksor previously explained with hybrids there is no one definitive "type" when it comes to RT's. But I would definitely not call that fish a FH, especially if it was sold as an RT. A lot of these fish sold at Petsmart originate from Seagrest farms, and this particular hybrid mix is labeled RT.

As a side note, the light colored substrate is most likely washing out some of the color.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Hmm, when I move him to his adult tank I will probably use black sand. That ought to make his colors pop.

It's more of an exercise in curiosity wondering what cocktail made this particular tyrant than anything else. He's a great wet pet, though his Red Terror and Jewel companions don't think too much of Caligula's despotic rule. It's a rough tank. Don't much like putting my hands in there.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Lots of nice looking Kamfa labeled as RT, have come out of Petsmart over the years - but I don't recall ever seeing a decent example of an RT.

If anyone has any pics, please share.

Reactions: Serpentine

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
…… no disrespect towards the fish already posted here. Some fish blossom as they mature.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Maybe he'll grow up to be a beauty. Maybe he'll stay just as he is, which is not unattractive. He has personality plus even if he doesn't turn into a showstopper. I don't think he's done changing from his juvenile coloration yet. But... I was looking for a wet pet more than a show fish in this case so pretty is just a bonus. PetSmart probably wouldn't be my first stop for a show fish anyway.

That horrible jewel cichlid is completely in love with him. Of course she would be. He's the only fish she's ever met who is as horrible as she is. I should probably name her Elisabeth Bathory. :D

Thank goodness Caligula is probably infertile. I can only imagine the little monsters that would issue from that unholy union.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Maybe he'll grow up to be a beauty. Maybe he'll stay just as he is, which is not unattractive. He has personality plus even if he doesn't turn into a showstopper. I don't think he's done changing from his juvenile coloration yet. But... I was looking for a wet pet more than a show fish in this case so pretty is just a bonus. PetSmart probably wouldn't be my first stop for a show fish anyway.

That horrible jewel cichlid is completely in love with him. Of course she would be. He's the only fish she's ever met who is as horrible as she is. I should probably name her Elisabeth Bathory. :D

Thank goodness Caligula is probably infertile. I can only imagine the little monsters that would issue from that unholy union.
Lol two evil powers have united

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Here's what he looks like today in late adolescence. He's about 8 inches long, 5 inches tall and 2 inches wide. He's still growing, as is the nuchal hump.

I would say he's more of a purple Texas than red. His other side has more green. I don't have a lot of experience judging quality because I just got him as a wet pet. I am guessing he's not any show fish but that's OK. He's still beautiful and wow, does he ever have personality and brains.

Caligula ruled a tank full of festae and jewel cichlids before he got too rough for all of them and ended up with his own bachelor pad.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store