Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Ive seen that vid. Im skeptical that she raised the fish in a strictly damp but waterless environment. Even if she did i dont think anything that was discovered is ground breaking. We know bichirs can "walk" between bodies of water, snakeheads also do this. Now had the fish displayed the walking behavior after the experiment and never before... that would be interesting
Yeah that was my though too. Was very artificial to try and prove an evolutionary theory she had. Not groundbreaking though interesting. Also points to why the Wiki page could lead a potential aquarist down the wrong path. Quote/reference is completely out of context.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
From the same thread you posted above, see below quote from Josh resolving the mystery of Polypterus Senegalus 20 inch argument
Yup very familiar with the sticky. Josh did a kickass job with it.

So tell me where did seriously fish make the mistake. Did they copy past the wrong size or the wrong species ?

Seems pretty inaccurate for a supposed scientifically backed care sheet.

You really dont help your cause much

Reactions: beau1990

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
As per the info I posted in post #29 and also Josh's post I copied in #80 about reclassification, I believe their size reference is for P. senegalus meridionales
Oh you believe it to be meridionales thats allot of help to someone new to keeping these fish and not a very science based conclusion on your part.

So you could have spent days trying to figure what the actual size of a sen is, only to find the the correct answer and probable explanation on the care sheet mistakes....... wait for it..... wait for it...... wait for it..... ON A FISH FORUM !:clap

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
As per the info I posted in post #29 and also Josh's post I copied in #80 about reclassification, I believe their size reference is for P. senegalus meridionales
Wheres fish base coming up with 28cm for ansorgii ?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
So you could have spent days trying to figure what the actual size of a sen is, only to find the the correct answer and probable explanation on the care sheet mistakes....... wait for it..... wait for it...... wait for it..... ON A FISH FORUM !:clap
Not really. It is clear that I found several different source of info, which is the point all along.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
So tell me where did seriously fish make the mistake. Did they copy past the wrong size or the wrong species ?
Not so sure about seriously fish but fishbase is definitely quoting a size for meridionales.

Josh is suggesting that the 20 inch(505mm) has also been reclassified as meriodontales(which is what seriously fish quotes). It seems like this reclassification is a recent event and the info on those "care sheets" all over the net, not just seriouslyfish, is outdated but not incorrect as meriodontales is a sub species of senegalus...

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Let's see what you believed in January 2019 :grinno:
1) im not sure you even know what point your trying to make

2) do you understand what that chart is describing?

3) using your care sheets would stop almost every new poly keeper from keep sens. Do you get that ? Take freds size chart which is much more accurate..... found on a FISH FORUM

Reactions: Matteus and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store