Flowerhorn Newbie

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
You have a ZZ Malau. He's leaning more towards the ZZ side but has the coloration and head shape and face of Kamalau.

Probably will have a huge kok if you feed him lots of fresh raw market shrimps.
Not sure exactly what all that means but thanks. I will try fresh shrimp once in a while. How often do you recommend and also what else? I have him on blood red parrot+ pellets right now.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Not sure exactly what all that means but thanks. I will try fresh shrimp once in a while. How often do you recommend and also what else? I have him on blood red parrot+ pellets right now.
Shrimp/prawns won't affect growth of his kok.

And nuchal hump size is based mostly on genetics, and gonadal swings as the male fish matures, not diet.

RD's old post about feeding prawns

FH are not carnivores, and their digestion system is not designed to digest large amounts of protein, no matter the source of that protein. There is no need to feed a FH prawn, tilapia, etc. If you feel the need to supplement their diet with live food, feed them some vegetable matter.
I would stick with pallets you have and may be add AlgaeMax.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
I'd say depending on his size between half to a whole piece. I cut mine up into pieces the size of the pellet hes used to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store