Setup for 100 Gallon with Common Pleco

Aqui

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2021
Hi!
I’m upgrading to a 100 gallon for my 13” common pleco soon! (Footprint 5’ long)
I’m looking at adding live plants, but I’m not sure what substrate to get.

Any ideas for tankmates? I’m open to anything that won’t breed. He’s lived with a pair of angelfish before with no problems.

Also, what sort of filtration should I use?

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Aqui

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2021
Update: found a 36x24x27 tank. It’s also 100 gallons; would this be just as good or should I keep looking for a longer one?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Update: found a 36x24x27 tank. It’s also 100 gallons; would this be just as good or should I keep looking for a longer one?
If it’s only the one pleco then yea I think it’ll last a while might be better off going straight to a 175 to give it maximum space for growing and happiness

Aqui

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2021
If it’s only the one pleco then yea I think it’ll last a while might be better off going straight to a 175 to give it maximum space for growing and happiness
I hear you. Do you think he’ll grow much more? He’s about 5 years old.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I hear you. Do you think he’ll grow much more? He’s about 5 years old.
Depends
1. Do you want it to keep growing, in captivity they commonly reach 15-18 inches but wild will get to 24 inch. If you give extra space then you can get him to grow more but it’ll be slower than normal since he’s most likely bred in captivity.

2. Keep him in a 125g if you want him to stay the current size given an extra inch or 2 and the 125 will give extra swimming space

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Depends
1. Do you want it to keep growing, in captivity they commonly reach 15-18 inches but wild will get to 24 inch. If you give extra space then you can get him to grow more but it’ll be slower than normal since he’s most likely bred in captivity.

2. Keep him in a 125g if you want him to stay the current size given an extra inch or 2 and the 125 will give extra swimming space
Will most likely grow another maybe 3 inches. I once gave away a 10” common pleco to a friend with a 75g and I’m pretty sure it’s about fully grown and still doing nice in that tank

Charlied81

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2021
Pa
That's pretty cool you're upgrading like that for just 1 fish let alone a common pleco. If you add any more fish just don't add a any small fish because they get more aggressive when they get bigger and will try to suck on it.

Reactions: Aqui

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
That's pretty cool you're upgrading like that for just 1 fish let alone a common pleco. If you add any more fish just don't add a any small fish because they get more aggressive when they get bigger and will try to suck on it.
Yea I’ve had that problem many times

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I saw your posts earlier. How old are you? How long have you been into fishkeeping? What is your goal with this hobby?
I’m 16, I’ve liked the Hoby since before I could walk I’ve just always been oddly attracted to fish and my goal in the hobby, I don’t have one, it’s a hobby not a job there shouldn’t be a reason to do it you should just enjoy it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store