Hemibagrus Variegatus

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Brief update. The variagatus is now in a 6x2x2, alone, although I keep thinking of trying to add my 14” endlecheri or a sailfin plec but really don’t have the time to watch them overnight yet. Still around the 13” mark as she refused to eat for a month after moving to the larger tank. I think because all the rock work is bigger and therefore the hideouts were not as tight, this upset her. I finally gave in and lowered some of them, which has unfortunately made getting a photo practically impossible as she is also less human interactive now too.
E0F12248-6EFD-4DAD-AC36-ACBB6389D86B.jpeg
4730FFBB-6660-45A1-BA20-64D272C62B3D.jpeg
72EAE731-0865-486E-A2D3-33B9FA5CA6E8.jpeg
Still trying pellets but refuses point blank.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sounds like a willward fish. IDK if it is a good idea to lean a rock against glass to make the only accessible hideout and hence 100% visibility because the fish may bang it against the glass...

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I know, even the rocks I have in there currently could be knocked over and this tank, although double bottom glass pane, already has a full length crack on the inside one of them from the wyckii when she was in there.
I keep toying with putting gravel base back in but the wyckii used to throw the gravel into the pond pump even though it was on top of the rocks and 4” off the bottom.
Could try for now and it might make her feel more at ease as thinking about it, the tank is on white polystyrene so really light colour base for the fish. Gravel would be darker.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire

In the 6x2 by herself the variegatus has been putting on a little weight. Now at around 15” she has not grown hugely in length but has instead chunked out.
Still really likes tight spaces and low caves.
If my design has too much room, she destroys it for me to try again.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Afraid that might be the last update for a short while. Been building an extension to my fish house. Was gonna add a new grow on pond. But to move tanks around I have had to move fish, so moved the variegatus into the floating mesh basket in the main pond. Decent size, gets the flow of the main pond and all the fish get accustomed, great for acclimatising new additions. But she was not supposed to be a new addition, just temporary.
I forgot that she previously jumped a tank divider to get to the jau.
So she has let herself into the main pond with the Wyckii.
Seeing her occasionally but only fleeting glances. As you know , my pond has lots of rock, bog wood and pipes. Lots of hiding, which is obviously why I can keep a group of 8 feather fins with redtail and wyckii.
So at 16” and real chunky, white underbelly and now a grey colour with gold/brown/green in her tail and fins she has moved herself into the main pond where photo opportunities are rare.
I am wondering if the eventual size is a little unknown on this fish simply because adult coloration is nothing like fish under 12”.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store