Good heater for 125 gallon

Dawgz

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2006
NJ
So what are some good heaters these days? One I can use for a 125 gallon. I have some Eheim Jager ones that I'm relocating to my new 225 gallon but all the new Eheim Jager I've tried for smaller tanks were hit or miss. They would allow water to get into the heater and it would short itself out.

There has got to be a better heater out there?

Reactions: tlindsey

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I found Fluval to be excellent for a tank that size. There is also another good one but I don't remember the name, I'll report back when I find the name.

Reactions: Dawgz

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Heaters can be the bane of many aquarists hobby. You can guarantee that a heater that works for some, fails miserably for others. I've been through several brands but I've settled on one, which has served me brilliantly since I came back into the hobby seven years ago. That heater is the Juwel Aquaheat (I use the 300W in my systems).

Saying that, I have discovered a "trick" which I believe has helped prolong the life of my heaters. Without this trick, for all I know, my Juwel Aquaheat heaters may probably fail too after a while.

The trick? Whether a heater is designed to be fully submersible or not, nowadays I NEVER fully submerge them, easy as that. I always, always have the tops standing proud of the surface of the water. Not only can water not get in, but if you need to adjust them it's easier too. The adjustment knob is easy to get at, and not full of the slippy bio film which attaches itself everywhere.

For me, that heater, in conjunction with my "trick" has served me very well. I bought a bunch of these heaters years ago, and still have some left unopened in their boxes! They've been that good for me.

You just need to find out what works for you in your set up, we all have our own go to brands. But I also swear by my "trick" to prolong their lives further. My heater below, readily available on line, in the UK anyway, not sure elsewhere.

IMG_20220521_061417_HDR.jpg

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Agreed x3 lol

I have found the eheims to be reliable but they seem to run very hot. I have 2 500w on my 300 gallon system set at 75 and they seem to keep the water 78-79 for whatever reason.

I think my biggest problem with heaters is there is NEVER a mounting mechanism that works well and holds up for longer than a year. Either the suction cups somehow wear out or lose hold of the bracket or the bracket won't hold the heater...whatever the case it always ends with the heaters not in the exact place or alignment I want them in.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Get any, but most importantly get a controller with it to prevent maul function.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I consider heaters to be "the" most unreliable piece of equipment we use as aquarists. When I lived in a cold climate, as a rule, I replaced them once per year, whether they failed or not.
There are 2 ways they fail, either in the "on" position, and if too high in wattage, can cook your fish. Or ..... in the off position, where the tank drops dangerously low in temp. Failure in each way seems to average about 50/50 to me
My strategy to avoid either problem, was to get 2 undersized heaters for tanks of around 125 gallons. Something akin to two 150 watt heaters, as opposed to one 300 watt version.
In that way if one fails in the "on" position, the other will hopefully cycle to off, and being undersized, does not have the capaciity to cook a tank of that size.
And if one fails in the off position in the dead of winter, the other has the capacity to stay on, and keep the tank relatively warm, until the failed one can be replaced.
The way I usually found out one had failed, was to put my hand in the tank, and get zapped.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I consider heaters to be "the" most unreliable piece of equipment we use as aquarists. When I lived in a cold climate, as a rule, I replaced them once per year, whether they failed or not.
There are 2 ways they fail, either in the "on" position, and if too high in wattage, can cook your fish. Or ..... in the off position, where the tank drops dangerously low in temp. Failure in each way seems to average about 50/50 to me
My strategy to avoid either problem, was to get 2 undersized heaters for tanks of around 125 gallons. Something akin to two 150 watt heaters, as opposed to one 300 watt version.
In that way if one fails in the "on" position, the other will hopefully cycle to off, and being undersized, does not have the capaciity to cook a tank of that size.
And if one fails in the off position in the dead of winter, the other has the capacity to stay on, and keep the tank relatively warm, until the failed one can be replaced.
The way I usually found out one had failed, was to put my hand in the tank, and get zapped.
I share the same sentiments and do the same thing but with the one difference being i use an Ink Bird controller.

Reactions: DAM and tlindsey

harrisonsaid

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2022
I've been running 2 300w jagers in my 125 for the past 2 years without issue. I always fill with unmixed water from the cold tap so they get a workout once a week.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I've been running 2 300w jagers in my 125 for the past 2 years without issue. I always fill with unmixed water from the cold tap so they get a workout once a week.
2 year problem free is no proof of quality as every heater ought to last at least 2 seasons. Two 300 W Jagers for 125 seem to be hazardous if they get stuck in summer. I use only one 300W in my 125 and I leave the AC on in summer vacation to prevent overheating from stuck heater. Jagers recommends lower wattage than comparable brand.

I agree. Heater is the least reliable equipment and most break in 3 to 5 years. In comparison, my HOBs and power heads last forever, and air pumps 5+ years. Jagers used to be the top of line but newer ones don’t last as long and the thermostat is the first to go. Nevertheless, they are built with thicker glass and don’t crack as easily as other brands. I’ve heard horror stories of certain brands spontaneously short circuited, melted and caught fire..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store