can pacu fish break tank

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Make a listing on mfk marketplace or something else so someone with a good home can find it, if your cousin? Likes the look of pacu, silver dollars look like them but are way smaller
They may not have MFK marketplace in Saudi Arabia.

For now:
Try adding some plastic plants and dim the light so the pacu feels more comfortable. It seems like something is scaring your cousin’s fish so it’s darting into the glass. Is the aquarium in a busy location where lots of people walk by?

Soon:
It would be best to transfer the pacu to the pond. Keep the pond out of sunlight, don’t overfeed, add a filter, and do water changes

Later:
You need to rehome it to someone or somewhere where it can have a larger home. Don’t release it into the wild

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
They may not have MFK marketplace in Saudi Arabia.

For now:
Try adding some plastic plants and dim the light so the pacu feels more comfortable. It seems like something is scaring your cousin’s fish so it’s darting into the glass. Is the aquarium in a busy location where lots of people walk by?

Soon:
It would be best to transfer the pacu to the pond. Keep the pond out of sunlight, don’t overfeed, add a filter, and do water changes

Later:
You need to rehome it to someone or somewhere where it can have a larger home. Don’t release it into the wild
the aquarium is in his living room which is a busy place.
secondly, he wanted to ask that how frequently would he has to do water changes if he keeps the pond in shade since here we receive a lot of sun and heat, good for algae

Trouser Cough

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
Pacu in my experience are smart and playful. Those that I've had would on occasion slam into the end wall of my acrylic aquarium and made me concerned. They'd ruin things for fun, break things if they were bored and were easily capable of crushing brazil nuts just to snack. That's a very hard headed fish that could do some serious damage to the typically thin glass that small tanks are made of.

I have seen pacu kept in tanks so small the fish could not move 6" front to back or side to side and definitely couldn't turn around. I'd guess that that guy's fish eventually popped the tank.

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
the problem is that where we live, animal abuse is common . every pet store has huge fish in small tanks and they tell the customer that they can also keep these fishes in a small tank. my cousin bought it from a store which was keeping it in a 6 inch plastic box, at that time the fish was 8 inches. it was cramped in there
How does an 8” fish fit in a 6” box?

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
My advice is to put it back in the nasty pond and then work on fixing the pond. A nasty pond is less crappy for the pacu than that little tank

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
the aquarium is in his living room which is a busy place.
secondly, he wanted to ask that how frequently would he has to do water changes if he keeps the pond in shade since here we receive a lot of sun and heat, good for algae
Depends on filtration, feeding, stocking, etc. For a large fish like that, your cousin should be changing water at least once a week or more

Reactions: tlindsey

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
My advice is to put it back in the nasty pond and then work on fixing the pond. A nasty pond is less crappy for the pacu than that little tank
the original pond was taken down, but my cousin will be placing it in the 100 gallon kiddie pool until he figures out what to do. the height of the pool is 30 cm , so he was asking whether it would be a problem for the fish or not for a short term time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store