can pacu fish break tank

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The size of your pond will determine the wattage of the UV sterilizer you need. There are UV sterilizers for ponds, and also UV clarifiers. Both will clear up green water, but UV sterilizers will do a lot more in protecting your fish. You can do an online search "best pond UV sterilizers", and the articles will list both UV sterilizers and clarifiers suitable for ponds. Perhaps kendragon can give his opinion, as he has installed US sterilizers in ponds. kendragon kendragon

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
i have added the pacu to my 1700 gallon pond. but it hasn't been eating for a week, except for a small piece of liver. after adding it to the 1700 gallon pond, i tried feeding it pellets and liver but it refuses to eat. what should i do. it ate like a monster in the aquarium

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
After a change in surroundings, fish often get stressed and won’t eat for a bit - monitor params as elevated nitrate or ammonia will also suppress appetite.
Btw, terrestrial meats aren’t the best for fish due to a higher fat content. It’s best to feed them fish or invert meat.

Reactions: tlindsey

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
which company sells the best uv sterilizer. i want to add it to my pond
You can put in lots of hardy plants. They will consume the nitrates and reduce the algae

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
terrestrial meats aren’t the best for fish due to a higher fat content. It’s best to feed them fish or invert meat.
Agree with the above.
Whether a fish likes something or not, is not how to judge what to feed it.
A friend who ran a 10,000 gal tank at a public zoo, found his 3 Pacu loved bananas, but varied the diet to keep them healthy
In nature, Pacu's digestive tracts have evolved to eat fallen fruit, seeds, and insects.
Liver and terrestrial meats are not a normal part of their menu, and the fats in meat are not really digestible for 99% of fish, and known to cause digestive maladies over time.

Reactions: Deadeye

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
a bottomless pit.
A foot-long fish, fast-swimming to boot, in a three foot tank for three months. :jaw-dropp

"...is it unhappy..." ????

Gee, I dunno...what do you think? Even ignoring the horribly cramped conditions, that fish produces so much waste just by breathing that it would likely require a 100% water change at least daily to hope to maintain water quality at halfway healthy levels. The thing is probably trying to break the tank just to end its own suffering.
I mean some foot long guys can work in a 40b, just they are all long bois, like the smallest of the Bichir, Ropefish, and Eels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store