MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello all,

I am worried I actually poisoned my precious MBU puffer.

Quick stats: 400 gallon tank plus sump
Daily 10% water changes with a large water change every weekend
Water parameters are pristine and tested regularly.

My MBU puffer is 12 months old and approximately 16" in length. It shares this tank with a few tiny fish as the cleanup crew. They are a few barbs, clown loaches, and neon tetras. All fish have lived together for the last 11 months. I have added nothing to this tank.

His diet is fairly solid. He eats market shrimp, frozen clams, and I also feed carnivore pellets and frozen snails.

Anyways, 10 days ago he stopped eating. This was the first time ever. Then within days his personality became weird. It was like he was drunk and running into things. He wasn't focused on anything at all. He used to chase me around like a puppy dog.

Today, he lays on the bottom on his side or even upside down. He visually still appears healthy without a scratch. If I go to grab him, he "come back to life" and fights to get away. He is still extremely strong.

After a short while, he will just turn on his side or upside again. His eyes don't focus on me.

My hunch is I accidentally poisoned him. I touch up a stain on the ceiling in this room 2 weeks ago with a light amount of spray paint. The next day I saw small particles of dry paint on the counter and the glass. It was easy to clean up and wasn't a lot but surely some got into the water.

All other fish in tank appears fine. I have done 3 massive water changes plus daily small changes.

Should I be considering euthanasia for him? Am I wrong with my guess of what's wrong with him? He appears to have a serious neurological issue.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Sorry to hear. If you think it’s toxins, I’d definitely keep up the water changes and add some carbon immediately and order some Poly Filter. A methylene blue dip could also help with respiration issues such as acquired methemoglobinemia.

Besides the puffer, are your other fish okay? If so, maybe you didn’t poison him and it might be another issue altogether. If it’s been 10 days with no improvement, then maybe euthanasia is something to consider.

Hopefully others will have some advice.

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
how heavily/often do you feed clams and shrimp? and do you use a vitamin supplement with it? if the other fish are all doing fine could it potentially be Thiaminase poisoning. Could also be the spray paint but id assume other fish would be acting off aswell.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d try and wait it out. If it’s completely upside down and not trying to get away when you grab it then I would consider euthanasia. I suggest try methylene blue and some salt. When did you start the water changes?

Lucius1113

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
Sorry to hear. If you think it’s toxins, I’d definitely keep up the water changes and add some carbon immediately and order some Poly Filter. A methylene blue dip could also help with respiration issues such as acquired methemoglobinemia.

Besides the puffer, are your other fish okay? If so, maybe you didn’t poison him and it might be another issue altogether. If it’s been 10 days with no improvement, then maybe euthanasia is something to consider.

Hopefully others will have some advice.
All other fish are thriving and doing fantastic.

Lucius1113

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
how heavily/often do you feed clams and shrimp? and do you use a vitamin supplement with it? if the other fish are all doing fine could it potentially be Thiaminase poisoning. Could also be the spray paint but id assume other fish would be acting off aswell.
I likely feed shrimp and clams too much. He absolutely loves them. He eats 3 clams a week on average but he likely eats a lot of shrimp.

All other fish are thriving and eating.

It is super strange as he looks "dead". His breathing is normal however and if I grab him, he is still extremely powerful and definitely gets away with all his might

Lucius1113

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
I’d try and wait it out. If it’s completely upside down and not trying to get away when you grab it then I would consider euthanasia. I suggest try methylene blue and some salt. When did you start the water changes?
I do daily water changes regardless but the last 4 days I started major water changes. Just not sure what to do.

He is completely upside down when resting. If I grab him, he will fight me and proceed to swim very hard but eradicate. Eventually he find a spot on the bottom and sits on his side or upside down. Like he has brain damage

Lucius1113

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
Now I am worried about this. I definitely leaned into market shrimp and clams more then all other food. He doesn't eat the sinking carnivore pellets well (even though I know they are great for him).

Is this fixable or am I looking at a total loss if true?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Like Knote said, if it still has a strong response, then give it some time. You can always add some VitaChem to the water column if he won’t eat.

Reactions: kno4te

Lucius1113

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
Like Knote said, if it still has a strong response, then give it some time. You can always add some VitaChem to the water column if he won’t eat.
I just frustrated. Never had this situation before. The puffer just lays on its side breathing normal. Then occasionally takes off but looks extremely drugged crashing into stuff and even twirling around. It look perfectly normal (not skinny) with great colors. If I grab it, it feels like a very healthy muscular fish and it definitely will break free.

Just sad tonight. I have a bad feeling it was my fault. I focus so hard on water quality and I am thinking m blind spot was nutritional. Grrr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store