Arowana keeps going to waterfall

Reach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2024
Hey guys! Since I’ve had my red arowana, it always likes to go to the waterfall area. I’m scared it might rip the fins or something or the tank has too little oxygen, What should I do?

IMG_2604.jpeg

IMG_2591.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Hey guys! Since I’ve had my red arowana, it always likes to go to the waterfall area. I’m scared it might rip the fins or something or the tank has too little oxygen, What should I do?
I doubt its oxygen related, the fish might just like to play in current.

i have a blue base that likes to chase bubbles, although i just don't bother worrying about torn fins or such.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I mean, it’s always there and like very rarely goes to the other part of the tank..
May be the fish is Stressed
It would be a good idea to actually fill the tank up, so that the fish has more space and feels safe

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
While I usually don't disagree with a more experienced fish keeper than myself. I gotta go with the low oxygen explanation. If that arowana was only stressed he would be laying down on the substrate or something, not sticking around near the bubbler.

Like previous members' advice, if I were you I would fill the tank up and get rid of the livebearers. They take up unnecessary oxygen in the tank and a suffocating predator won't be able to hunt live fish. Plus the livebearers will stress the arowana out. Also, I would do water changes and check your water temperature. Higher water temperature/high levels of ammonia can suffocate fish for various scientific reasons.

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
What temperature is the water? The higher the water temp, the lower the oxygen carrying capacity, and higher oxygen demand from the fish 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store