600 gallon acrylic tear down and rebuild or roll the dice?

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
This is the RO system I have. I don't really know much about them or what an acceptable drip flow/amount would be. It claims it will do 150g per day but I am sure I do not need anything close to that. Anyone have experience that could point me towards an initial setting?

IMG_20240815_170550992_HDR.jpg

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
One more question for today lol. I have never used K1 but have wanted to for some time, the center area where it will go is 28L 12W and around 9D just under the weirs. How much K1 do I need?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
This is the RO system I have. I don't really know much about them or what an acceptable drip flow/amount would be. It claims it will do 150g per day but I am sure I do not need anything close to that. Anyone have experience that could point me towards an initial setting?

View attachment 1547428
Are u wanting to do an autodrip system for the tank? If so u dont need the actual ro membrane. Can utilize the others tho for sediment and carbon. For general rule of thumb i drip 1gph per 100g for starters. Ur shooting for 100% or more tank volume for the week. I have a 450 at 4gph and a 500 at 6gph. Also have a 650 at 4gph. My stocks are low at this point tho i used to do 2gph for 100gal or more as needed for higher stocks.

Depending on ur source water u might not even need it. I drip untreated water right into the tank. Going on 8yrs now. My source water has chlorine but its not enough to do anything. Chloramines are the bad one. U can use a resin cartridge inside ur ro housing if u have chloramine.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
One more question for today lol. I have never used K1 but have wanted to for some time, the center area where it will go is 28L 12W and around 9D just under the weirs. How much K1 do I need?
K1 can be a bit confusing… its usually sold by the cubic foot. U can sometimes get a price break for buying more of it. Id estimate around 2 cubic feet of regular k1… I had 2cu ft in a 55g sectioned off in about that same size.

Its hard to tell how much u need at first. It can take a cple months for it to harbor bacteria and really start sinking enough to boil properly.

Reactions: bluehand

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
I plan on trying to get everything relocated this weekend and i want to get all the bulkheads permanently fixed in the tank before taking it in. My inlet bulkheads are all threaded, should I glue them or just tape?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
What would be more reliable I mean?
Ehh… that comes down to personal preference really. I glue mine in with primer 1st then glue as i would regular pipe but thats just me. A good tape can be just as good and permanent. I have 2 drip system supply lines running 24/7 at 40psi in house also that rely on tape and brass fittings. Ive had a cple of those fail over the yrs. Probably my fault tho for using too much tape and the brass fittings cracked over time.

Reactions: bluehand

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Awesome brother!!😎😎 Once again man can't thank you enough for all the help you have been throughout this! Sitting here in the garage trying to decide on what way to go with it that I won't regret later 🫤 I usually use slip fittings and glue them but I may have been a little less than sober when I ordered the new ones and got threaded instead 🤦🤦

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Awesome brother!!😎😎 Once again man can't thank you enough for all the help you have been throughout this! Sitting here in the garage trying to decide on what way to go with it that I won't regret later 🫤 I usually use slip fittings and glue them but I may have been a little less than sober when I ordered the new ones and got threaded instead 🤦🤦
Any time man 💀🤙… Ive bought the threaded by mistake as well. I use a little bit of everything over here. Now that i think of it i have a dry pump running with tape and threaded fittings also 😂… either way u go will be fine. I like the grey “fast tape” over the reg. white stuff. Seems to seal up better for me.

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Any time man 💀🤙… Ive bought the threaded by mistake as well. I use a little bit of everything over here. Now that i think of it i have a dry pump running with tape and threaded fittings also 😂… either way u go will be fine. I like the grey “fast tape” over the reg. white stuff. Seems to seal up better for me.
Not sure I have work with the fast tape before. Is it available at like a box store like Lowe's or home Depot?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store