GloFish: Good or Bad for the Hobby?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Glo fish or any other garish modified fish, whether it be body shape, fin structure, colour, or whatever, are, imo, repugnant.

And while I'm at it so are some of the garish multi coloured bits of crap that are sold as tank decor too, and don't even get me going on fluorescent substrates!!!
Whilst initially I agreed with everything, on reflection, I keep orandas and black moors and breed Longfin bristlenose so I find myself at conflict.
Regarding, dyed, tattood or glo fish however I am not at conflict- it’s a straight no from me.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Well once upon a time when they were new and i was young i had a few and really enjoyed them. I was much more excited by bright and colorful things then and my tastes have changed as well as my perspective. I still find less fault with glo fish than i do for intentional mutations and long term inbreeding that cause detriment to the actual fish resulting from it. These fish could be inbred or lime bred if that makes you feel better about it but are no worse off for having the protein than other danios, so i don't really disaprove. Just my preference has changed to want the natural specimens in my tank.

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I hate reviving an old thread, but I've recently seen some glofish stuff I thought I would mention.

Glofish Angels are officially in America. When I dropped off my fish the last time I went to the LFS, they had a big tank full of neon pink (the only color available) Angelfish. They had just gone on the market a week prior, so these were incredibly new.

Admittedly, they didn't look horrible, but the color distribution was highly variable per specimen. I would never get them, though; I prefer "normal" angels or variant angels such as Koi.

I thought I would bring it up since it is kinda big news for Glofish.

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
My cousin also started fishkeeping, after being inspired by me and the first thing he got were glofish and i was like :duh: .
I told him the next time he wanted to buy fish he should ask some advice before doing so.

• Haha
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I wouldn't buy any. I also will not judge anyone who does. I find these less problematic than the explosion of hybrids, as I don't think anyone will want a pure midas and end up with a glo-fish. They will probably get a midevil.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Not a fan of genetically modified fish as that goes too far for me. But have no issue with neon gravel or SpongeBob decorations as it draws kids into the hobby. Don’t tell me most of you didn’t have the bubble diver or the pirate chest that opened and closed when you first started out

sokolis

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2022
Good!!!

Because the attraction new young people to the hobby!

We all started somewhere even if it's basic and fake fish. I remember being around 10 and my g ma had some.

I've never forgot that first tank at her house
Small basic 10 gallon but it caught my attention and let me to the hobby as I got into my teens

Plant the seed and it will grow.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Not a fan of genetically modified fish as that goes too far for me. But have no issue with neon gravel or SpongeBob decorations as it draws kids into the hobby. Don’t tell me most of you didn’t have the bubble diver or the pirate chest that opened and closed when you first started out
Aaaah, the bubble diver...{sigh} :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Good!!!

Because the attraction new young people to the hobby!

We all started somewhere even if it's basic and fake fish. I remember being around 10 and my g ma had some.

I've never forgot that first tank at her house
Small basic 10 gallon but it caught my attention and let me to the hobby as I got into my teens

Plant the seed and it will grow.
My mother probably would have had the glow fish in one of her aquariums with multi colored gravel lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store