Current stock.

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Well I’m not really pleased my American cichlid stock in my 150 gallon tank. The fish are just mostly food motivated and other than that they don’t move enough for my liking. I’ve also been looking around at other members tanks and I really like rays, aros,gars and bichirs( I know, I know these aren’t the Most active) but my tank can’t really fit those ( except for the bichirs). I’ve also been pondering the native fish route, like catching a bluegill or two for myself and seeing how that goes. I’m looking for a fish that’s active, and would be cool to be a smaller version of what’s listed above. I want some that are more personable but still predatory.

TLDR: tired of current stock what other fish could I add to retool my tank.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
What you want is near impossible. Most predators are of the ambush type. Meaning sits until lunch swims by then, then attacks.
Best I can suggest is a big group of Pimelodus pictus. They only get to around 6in. But in a group they move around a lot searching for food. Get around ten or so
Then some Andinoacara Pulcher, a smaller cichlid that resembles its cousin the Green Terror, Andinoacara Rivilatus. Can establish a breeding colony and the pictus will dispense of the fry. Get some larger bodied tetras like Buenos Aries or Columbians as dithers, get a big group around 15 to 20 or more to really get the schooling effect from them.
This tank should be nice and active. The cats always on patrol. Cichlids doing they thing and the tetras schooling about.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
You can also do a Oscar as the main tank attraction, a school of Silver Dollars for some movement and activity, and one or two featherfin catfish as the bottom dwellers.

Oscars and Silver Dollars are active fish meaning you won't get tired of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store