Artificial plants

makeit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2024
Hey everyone! I recently set up a new fish tank, and I'm considering adding some plants for decoration. However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use artificial plants instead of real ones. 🤔 On one hand, faux plants seem low-maintenance, and I’ve seen some that look super realistic. But I’m wondering if they’re safe for the fish. Does anyone have experience with this? Are there any pros or cons I should be aware of when it comes to using artificial plants in fish tanks? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey everyone! I recently set up a new fish tank, and I'm considering adding some plants for decoration. However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use artificial plants instead of real ones. 🤔 On one hand, faux plants seem low-maintenance, and I’ve seen some that look super realistic. But I’m wondering if they’re safe for the fish. Does anyone have experience with this? Are there any pros or cons I should be aware of when it comes to using artificial plants in fish tanks? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!
Artificial plants are wonderful, although they don't add any benefits other than protection, hiding spots, and aesthetic decor to your tank. Live plants provide more benefits, such as keeping algae down in the tank (as long as there are enough plants, which would be expensive). Otherwise, I find them expensive and a pain in the rear; I would go with realistic-looking fake plants. They are much easier to keep; just make sure you shake them out every time you vacuum because they can be a little docking bay for fish crap.

Reactions: AR1

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I have hated plastic plants for pretty much my entire fishkeeping career. I lump them in the same category as things like Twinkies or McDonald's shakes, i.e. so artificial it's sickening. This is especially silly when you consider that I am a lousy gardener, and there are only a few species of aquatic plants that actually thrive in my care...but I use those few species in just about every tank.

I recently started keeping goldfish, and found they ate up just about any plant I kept with them, so in desperation I dug up that old plastic bag into which I sealed my plastic plants a few decades ago. Cleaned 'em off, shook 'em out, and carefully arranged them in the goldies' tank. Then I stood back and surveyed my newly-created aquascape with a critical eye.

It was a revelation, almost an epiphany. After all those years away from them...I now remembered why I had put them in the bag in the first place! I still hate plastic plants! :irked:

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I have hated plastic plants for pretty much my entire fishkeeping career. I lump them in the same category as things like Twinkies or McDonald's shakes, i.e. so artificial it's sickening. This is especially silly when you consider that I am a lousy gardener, and there are only a few species of aquatic plants that actually thrive in my care...but I use those few species in just about every tank.

I recently started keeping goldfish, and found they ate up just about any plant I kept with them, so in desperation I dug up that old plastic bag into which I sealed my plastic plants a few decades ago. Cleaned 'em off, shook 'em out, and carefully arranged them in the goldies' tank. Then I stood back and surveyed my newly-created aquascape with a critical eye.

It was a revelation, almost an epiphany. After all those years away from them...I now remembered why I had put them in the bag in the first place! I still hate plastic plants! :irked:
A couple of pics would definitely be amusing!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
A couple of pics would definitely be amusing!
I live to serve...but only to a very limited extent...

I don't like it well enough to actually take more pics, so here's the only one I have; it's in post #71:

Twinkies. Blecchhhhh......

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I live to serve...but only to a very limited extent...

I don't like it well enough to actually take more pics, so here's the only one I have; it's in post #71:

Twinkies. Blecchhhhh......
It actually looks really good but thats just my opinion lol.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It actually looks really good but thats just my opinion lol.
Thanks! I see you posted that less than 5 minutes ago as I type this.

Whaddaya think of it right now? :devil:

• Haha
Reactions: AR1

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Thanks! I see you posted that less than 5 minutes ago as I type this.

Whaddaya think of it right now? :devil:
Im confused? I thought it looked good, I haven't seen its current state lol

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm and AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store