Would you buy a house with a built in monster sized tank? Say 300 to 500 gallons?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Me IN A HEARTBEAT. But I'd get some kind of insurance/inspection/disclaimer from the seller to make sure that it doesn't leak and is sound.

I remember checking out a cool Cape Cod in PG county MD off Marlboro Pike near Pep Boys Auto (y'all locals will know where this is). It had a huge basement that was divided by a hallway and door. One side was like 25 x 25 with a painted concrete floor with a drain built in dead center. The other side was huge and could used as entertainment/rec room. Best of both worlds. Somebody beat me to it, though. Cape Cod was built in '48.

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Me IN A HEARTBEAT. But I'd get some kind of insurance/inspection/disclaimer from the seller to make sure that it doesn't leak and is sound.

I remember checking out a cool Cape Cod in PG county MD off Marlboro Pike near Pep Boys Auto (y'all locals will know where this is). It had a huge basement that was divided by a hallway and door. One side was like 25 x 25 with a painted concrete floor with a drain built in dead center. The other side was huge and could used as entertainment/rec room. Best of both worlds. Somebody beat me to it, though. Cape Cod was built in '48.
I’d Fs buy one with a larger tank already built as well. I’d definitely also want that inspection though. Man now that I’m thinking about that I think I might start looking for houses with giant tanks lol.

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
In THEORY I would definitely, but in practicality I have trust issues. AKA - I don't trust anyone lol. I'd never trust that just because the seller SAYS it's good and has no issues, that it actually would be when I went to fill it up. Even if you get something in writing that you can go back and sue when your "new" house is destroyed, you're still dealing with damage to your home and getting it fixed up on your dime initially. That's not something I'd be willing to do. I'd rather buy a house without and make the effort to install/have installed a giant tank myself for peace of mind.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hell yeah! I would love to have a house with a built-in monster tank...I would be chucking all sorts of stuff in there lol.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
In THEORY I would definitely, but in practicality I have trust issues. AKA - I don't trust anyone lol. I'd never trust that just because the seller SAYS it's good and has no issues, that it actually would be when I went to fill it up. Even if you get something in writing that you can go back and sue when your "new" house is destroyed, you're still dealing with damage to your home and getting it fixed up on your dime initially. That's not something I'd be willing to do. I'd rather buy a house without and make the effort to install/have installed a giant tank myself for peace of mind.
Interesting point considering the amount of massive water damage such a tank would cause. I guess I'd make sure the owners kept the tank half full during the sale process.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm with Sinister-Kisses Sinister-Kisses on this; I'd love to have a giant tank like that, but I'm a firm believer in "If you want it done right...do it yourself!"

We have lots of threads on here detailing DIY tanks that are marvels of careful construction and intelligent design...and we have lots of others that make me wonder how the builder can possibly think that the ideas being used can work. The potential for damage and destruction caused by a dumb mistake at levels like this is almost limitless.

Oh, I see, it's apparently okay if it's inspected by a qualified person? Who exactly is qualified to do this? And why would such a qualified person ever risk his/her reputation on somebody else's DIY job? Once the tank is built, there are some basic aspects of it that can probably be seen and determined to be good enough...or not...but there are many aspects that are simply not visible and not testable. Sure...get an engineer to "inspect" the thing. He charges you $500 and says "all good!" Fill the tank...crack your foundation...flood the house...destroy furnishings, floors...start a nice mould culture growing...and the engineer will, at best, say "Ooops! My bad! Here's your $500 bucks back!"

I've been on too many multi-million-dollar construction projects that were riddled with unbelievable examples of poor design, poor execution and lack of QC to ever trust somebody else, whether they did the work themselves or simply hired some fly-by-night outfit to do it.

SK has it right: "I don't trust anyone".

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If it was a house with a huge acrylic tank, which wednesday13 wednesday13 had built, absolutely. If it was a house with a gigantic glass tank that Backfromthedead Backfromthedead had built, sure. If it was a house with a colossal plywood tank, which jjohnwm jjohnwm had built.....never in a million years!!! Lol. Only joking buddy.

Jesting aside, the answer would be a definite NO for me, unless I was moving into a house where the previous owner was a tank builder off our site.

And we do have some exceptional talent on here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store