Oscar lethargic, not eating, slightly bloated. Need help diagnosing and treating

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
75 gal seems too small. I am a firm believer that stress is the #1 killer of fish. I too had 2 healthy happy oscars in a 110 gal tank. When they hit 5 and 5.5 years they succumbed to 1. HITH and the second breathing issues and lethargy.
Tank always cleaned/ pristine low nitrate. Ph could have been part of it but I have finally come around to understand the stress factor more and more.
After what happened I would only keep oscars in a 200+ gal tank. Especially if there are tankmates.
Figure out the stress and 90% problems solved.

Reactions: jjohnwm and FINWIN

Maxdevine00

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
You can do a search on epsom salt on the site. Many people have posted information that will help. It may be time for the metro.
I started the metro yesterday. Just noticed he developed cloudy/whitish mucous spots towards dorsal fins and head today. Not sure if this is just increased slime coat or from stress guard/ epsom salt or if it’s a manifestation of external parasite infection. He also has occasional clear stringy mucous hanging off body. I will attach picture. Any ideas on what this is?

image.jpg

Maxdevine00

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
75 gal seems too small. I am a firm believer that stress is the #1 killer of fish. I too had 2 healthy happy oscars in a 110 gal tank. When they hit 5 and 5.5 years they succumbed to 1. HITH and the second breathing issues and lethargy.
Tank always cleaned/ pristine low nitrate. Ph could have been part of it but I have finally come around to understand the stress factor more and more.
After what happened I would only keep oscars in a 200+ gal tank. Especially if there are tankmates.
Figure out the stress and 90% problems solved.
Thanks for the advice! I had been planning to upsize tank to 125 before all this started. Is 220 needed for single fish?

Maxdevine00

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
looks like excess slime coat. stay with the clean water and don't stop no matter what.
Doing large water changes every other day. The excess slime coat has disappeared. He is slowly starting to move around tank more. Bloating slightly decreased. Still no appetite/ lethargic/ semi rapid breathing. Is aquarium salt something that might be beneficial in this case?

Reactions: DawnMichele and AR1

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Doing large water changes every other day. The excess slime coat has disappeared. He is slowly starting to move around tank more. Bloating slightly decreased. Still no appetite/ lethargic/ semi rapid breathing. Is aquarium salt something that might be beneficial in this case?
Are you adding Prime with each water change? Also what is the water temperature. If its below 76 your O will get sluggish. Add cover (fake plants) for him to rest behind. Darken the substrate to reduce stress. Add smooth rocks or dark gravel. Keep at it.

Maxdevine00

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
Are you adding Prime with each water change? Also what is the water temperature. If its below 76 your O will get sluggish. Add cover (fake plants) for him to rest behind. Darken the substrate to reduce stress. Add smooth rocks or dark gravel. Keep at it.
Yes I’m adding prime with every WC. Temp avg is ~77.7f. I’ll order some more substrate since he has light color sand that is slowly decreasing over the years. Good idea about the fake plants! I’ll see if Amazon has some decent options. Thinking about buying/ feeding him some live mealworms to see if appetite back at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store