Please help identify

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Peeling in perfectly symmetrical bands I don’t find that likely. But devils advocate I do understand the logic behind that, however multiple fish with the exact same patterning under my care, as well as some other posts on here you can find with Hogos that exhibit the same visual displays of orange. Never seen any RDs or Mids peel exactly the same.
No I meant the orange creeping up his gills/mouth/chest/anal fin + the random flecks of orange appearing on his sides. That is peeling.

Reactions: Milingu

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
No orange around the gills ether its red.
Call it orange or red or beige or cream (I am sometimes bad with colours), but the not grey area on the gill plate is extending. You see that really good if you compare with the older pictures. Also his whole body looks a bit grainy which can be an indicator for peeling. But the easiest way to clarify if he is peeling or not is to wait at least 4 more weeks or so and compare again with the pictures.

LAQGUY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
Call it orange or red or beige or cream (I am sometimes bad with colours), but the not grey area on the gill plate is extending. You see that really good if you compare with the older pictures. Also his whole body looks a bit grainy which can be an indicator for peeling. But the easiest way to clarify if he is peeling or not is to wait at least 4 more weeks or so and compare again with the pictures.
Now that is definitely a fair point with the grainy look he kinda always had that. But this guy is a dam chameleon. When he gets riled up or hungry his whole head is one consistent dark grey or black but a bit of red stays. This is the only reason I’m keeping this thread going to record visual changes. And document growth.

LAQGUY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
Lets see, I am absolutely wiling to continue updating on the matter. I would definitely be surprised if this was the case not saying it is not possible what so ever. It would just be odd to be peeling in this manner, and not in the usual unpredictable manner that they tend to.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Lets see, I am absolutely wiling to continue updating on the matter. I would definitely be surprised if this was the case not saying it is not possible what so ever. It would just be odd to be peeling in this manner, and not in the usual unpredictable manner that they tend to.
They can peel in any pattern, it doesn't have to just be in random flakes. I had a blood parrot I bought unpeeled who peeled like that. In fact she had the same fin pattern as your amphilophus for her whole 10 year existence. Most peel bottom to top like yours for that matter. Some peel in stripes.

1000019473.jpg

1000019474.png

1000019476.jpg

1000019477.jpg

1000019478.jpg

Reactions: LAQGUY

LAQGUY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
Now that second picture seems the most likely outcome out of all of them if he does in fact peel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store