New Fish id + loss

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Dropped them in the tank and went out for dinner, only to return to find one killed and have its eyes ripped off. The other one was in a bad state too, so I quickly removed it. The other one is alive but only rime will tell whether it makes it or not. So sad about this one's loss, what type of fish is it anyways.

• Sad
Reactions: Midwater

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
If you look closely you can see very big scales. Though it is not showing that typical black line around the scales that some Chalceus show, I still think this may be a Chalceus sp. or something closely related.

AR1 AR1 Any chance to get a picture of the living fish?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What fish were house in the tank with it?

There are a number of new species of Chaleus being imported from northern S America these days, some from very specific water sheds, and exacting water parameters.
Some are from very low pH (lower than 6), very soft,...... and tannin inundated tribultaries, and if wild caught very sensitive to even minor variations..

If those water parameters are not adhered to, they can cause enough stress, to make the new fish vulnerable to other species harassment by those already established in the tank

Reactions: Milingu and AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
What fish were house in the tank with it?

There are a number of new species of Chaleus being imported from northern S America these days, some from very specific water sheds, and exacting water parameters.
Some are from very low pH (lower than 6), very soft,...... and tannin inundated tribultaries, and if wild caught very sensitive to even minor variations..

If those water parameters are not adhered to, they can cause enough stress, to make the new fish vulnerable to other species harassment by those already established in the tank
The main tank has a jag, two Irredescent sharks, three tinfoil barbs, and two walking catfish. All of the fish have been living happily for months, and the jag doesn't bother anything. All of them are two to three inches.
In addition to duanes point Chalceus can be extremely skittish. Maybe it just got spooked and smashed it's head into the glas.
Its just 2 inch big, and the main tank was 45 gallon one, do you still thing thats the main reason?. I think the transfer shock, along with the presence of other fish, already stressed them and then either the jag or the catfish attacked it, ending its life?

Also, will a single one live fine ?

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I am just speculating about the possibilities.
But after reading that you have a jaguar cichlid in there, the attack theory seems more plausible. Silver fish with shiny scales are often dead sure trigger for their hunting instinct. In addition to the Chalceus being tossed in from above from where normally food comes.

Reactions: AR1 and phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store