120 gallon planted tank stocking suggestions

Reklaw84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2024
Hi all,

I’ve finally picked up a large tank. It’s a 120gal 4x2x2 with a fx6 filter. I’m going to be doing bagged lava rock and organic soil with a sand cap and planting some bigger plants such as Amazon Sword and corkscrew val as well as plenty of Anubis and Java fern on three big driftwood pieces.

I’m looking for stocking ideas and love anything that is responsive to people like any of the larger cichlids. Electric Blue Acara or Jack Dempsey are top of my list for now but I’m looking for suggestions! Only other requirement is that it needs to take dry food, so no puffers sadly.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Hi all,

I’ve finally picked up a large tank. It’s a 120gal 4x2x2 with a fx6 filter. I’m going to be doing bagged lava rock and organic soil with a sand cap and planting some bigger plants such as Amazon Sword and corkscrew val as well as plenty of Anubis and Java fern on three big driftwood pieces.

I’m looking for stocking ideas and love anything that is responsive to people like any of the larger cichlids. Electric Blue Acara or Jack Dempsey are top of my list for now but I’m looking for suggestions! Only other requirement is that it needs to take dry food, so no puffers sadly.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to MFK!

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
You have a ton of options on this. I really enjoyed having clouded archers and a 120 is a good tank for them. They were very responsive to people. They would turn to reflect the light into my eyes when they wanted attention or spit. They took floating pellets really well.

The challenge with cichlids is getting ones that don't destroy plants. Angels would be nice in there. Discus would work as well. Sticking with epiphytes does give you some help. I think the acaras will be fine. One of the most under rated fish is the firemouth cichlid.

Reklaw84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2024
You have a ton of options on this. I really enjoyed having clouded archers and a 120 is a good tank for them. They were very responsive to people. They would turn to reflect the light into my eyes when they wanted attention or spit. They took floating pellets really well.

The challenge with cichlids is getting ones that don't destroy plants. Angels would be nice in there. Discus would work as well. Sticking with epiphytes does give you some help. I think the acaras will be fine. One of the most under rated fish is the firemouth cichlid.
Wow, clouded archers look super cool! It’d be fun to do a paludarium for them so they could shoot bugs off the branches and vines. Sounds like there is conflicting information about them out there, any care sheets you’d recommend? I don’t have any good LFS near me so will probably have to order online, do you have a good source?

Looks like MD Studios on YouTube has a good video on them so I’ll check that out in the mean time. Thanks!

Reklaw84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2024
Alright, I’m thinking a group of 6 clouded archers, a bunch of clown loaches (One came with the tank and they definitely need some friends) and some nerite snails. Does that seem like a good mix? For a 120, how many loaches should I do? I was thinking at least 6.

Thanks again, Clouded Archets seem like a great fit!

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Wow, clouded archers look super cool! It’d be fun to do a paludarium for them so they could shoot bugs off the branches and vines. Sounds like there is conflicting information about them out there, any care sheets you’d recommend? I don’t have any good LFS near me so will probably have to order online, do you have a good source?

Looks like MD Studios on YouTube has a good video on them so I’ll check that out in the mean time. Thanks!
MD Fish Tanks has such a cool Archerfish Pauladarium.

Reklaw84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2024
I've never kept clown loaches but think you should know most loaches are excellent snail hunters.
Great catch. I forgot this myself. I decided not to so clown loaches because they really need a bigger aquarium so I’m going to do Botox’s Histrionica or the Burmese Loach. I like the idea of all the fish in the tank being from the same region. I’m going to put some red mangroves in the back, a bunch of driftwood with anubias, Java fern, and Java moss.

Any suggestions for tall plants from the Myanmar region?

Also, stocking wise if I do 6 archers and 10 loaches I’m probably full right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store